Re: NBATV Conspiracy

     Well, don't be too sure about that.  There's a perfect example to the
contrary in NASCAR.  For years, each NASCAR track had its own TV rights.  This
led to races being on 4 or 5 networks.  About five years ago, NASCAR said that
it was going to take control of TV rights and sell them as a package, which it
did.  Now ABC/TNT has half the year, while Fox/FX has the other half.  Did
this abrogate any existing contracts?  I have no idea, but it sure showed that
when a major sport flexes its muscles, amazing things happen.
     Of course, structurally, NASCAR is much more like the NFL than the NBA,
which has multiple events on various days.    But for those of you old enough
to remember, do you remember the calls that "pay TV" would be taking over?
Well, it is.  What percentage of sports is now on network as opposed to cable?
Is it that far a leap from basic cable to premium cable to League Pass?

n a message dated 7/30/2003 5:51:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,