Schedule is action-packed

James Cavaliers in town Nov. 14

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 7/30/2003

or all basketball fans waiting to see ''The Next Big Thing,'' circle Nov. 14
on your calendars. That night, rookie LeBron James and the Cavaliers make
their first FleetCenter appearance of the regular season. If you miss the
Cavaliers the first time around, they return to town Jan. 9. And if tickets
are sold out to both those contests, don't worry. There are plenty of other
interesting matchups from which to choose.

The NBA released the 2003-04 schedule yesterday, and the Celtics will get a
lot of air time during the season. First, there are all the short trips West.
In early December, the Celtics will head to the Rockies for a back-to-back set
against Denver and Utah. Christmas break will not be easy as Boston plays
Phoenix, the Lakers, and Golden State over a four-day span. The three Texas
teams are split into two trips. There is a shorter-than-usual February West
Coast trip, with post-All-Star break stops in Sacramento, Los Angeles
(Clippers), Portland, and Seattle. The last extended trip of the regular
season takes the Celtics from Washington to Miami to New Orleans to Atlanta in
early April.

The other air time comes in the form of national television exposure. The
Celtics are scheduled to appear on national broadcasts eight times, six on
ESPN. The country's first glimpse of the team will come Dec. 17 when ESPN
covers the Mavericks' only visit to the FleetCenter. Other ESPN dates include:
vs. Toronto Feb. 27; at Minnesota March 7; at Dallas March 19; vs. New Jersey
March 26; and vs. Philadelphia March 28. The Celtics are scheduled for one ABC
broadcast, a matchup with the reigning NBA champion Spurs Jan. 18. TNT also
will cover a game Feb. 9 when the team heads to Cleveland.

Other big dates include the Celtics' first home game against rival New Jersey
(Nov. 7). The Kings come to town Nov. 9, while the Lakers do not show up until
March 10. The season ends with a home date against Atlanta April 14.

3-year deal for Jones

Jumaine Jones signed a three-year deal worth $5 million yesterday, clearing
the way for the completion of a three-player sign-and-trade between the
Celtics and Cavaliers. While Jones comes to Boston, point guard J.R. Bremer
returns to his hometown of Cleveland along with center Bruno Sundov.

The Cavaliers also receive a conditional second-round pick from the Celtics.

Jones was happy to get the deal done because he has another, bigger contract
signing coming up. The 6-foot-8-inch forward is getting married to Donna Gibbs
Aug. 17.

A week-long honeymoon in southern France will be the only break Jones takes
from his summer training routine. Jones wants to be as prepared as possible
for his new opportunity with the Celtics.

''I'm just happy to be back on a playoff-contending team,'' said Jones, who
spent two seasons with Philadelphia before being traded to Cleveland along
with Tyrone Hill. ''With Paul[ Pierce] and Antoine[ Walker] it's good to know
that you've got some good guys here who are willing and committed and want to
win. Right now, I'm just happy to be here. I feel like I can come in and give
the team whatever they need. I'm a guy who can give us more athleticism, more
toughness, and more quickness.''

Last year, Jones appeared in 80 games for Cleveland and averaged 9.8 points,
5.1 rebounds, and 1.4 assists. He has 3-point shooting ability, making 35.4
percent from beyond the arc last season.

''As long as I'm on the court, it really doesn't matter what position I
play,'' said Jones. ''I talked with coach [ Jim O'Brien]. He told me I
definitely need to be in shape coming to training camp, to be ready coming
in.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of F.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of BGMag_Big.gif]