From: "gene kirkpatrick" <gk_tyler@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <celtics@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 8:14 PM
Subject: coolin' and waitin'

> I'm pleased overall with the summer's crop of players.  There's still
something coming, I think, but two positives stand out:  l.  Ainge (and the
necessity to get better or get out) has had a positive impact on Antoine--at
least, in his weight--and Baker sounds to be working hard.  Battie might be
healthy and Ewill will be fighting for his future.  So, the old guys should
be focused.  Of course, who knows whether we'll get real movement with
Antoine or positives from Baker.  2.  We added several contributors in Banks
and Hunter.  By themselves they should shake up this team.  If Perkins
learns quickly, as they say he does, this will be a good year for him behind
Battie and Blount.

> I don't worry about motives and plans and "speaking out of both sides of
the mouth" sort of stuff.  People in the public eye like Ainge have to give
up any desires of pleasing everybody and play the game the best they can.
The proof will be in the pudding later on.

> So, I'm pleased.  Not caring for Kenny or Best, I'm nonplussed about
James.  Clearly, Ainge will try to add a big two-guard who can run the break
and make Delk, Bremer, etc. into lesser options.  That's for next year.  For
now, we have shored up a bit.  If a blockbuster comes with Antoine, it will
surprise me.  I would like someone like Antawn Jamison.  Cheers,  Gene