Vin Baker and the summer League

Vin, I think, was smart not to play.  He's almost certainly not ready for
that.  He had to spend a lot of time getting used to not having whatever he
was having, and that always takes a toll on mind and body.

Then, there's the whole ordeal of getting back into shape--not BASKETBALL
shape--just shape.  From what little has been said, the impression I have
is that Vin has cleaned up.  He's in shape.  Now, he has to get into
basketball shape.

Confidence will be tremendously important now.  He can't risk coming back
too fast, only to get smoked by a bunch of NBA wannabes.  He knows--as do
we all--this is his last realistic chance to be an NBA player for ANY
team.  He has to come roaring back, or as soon as the C's can get rid of
him, he's gone.  He can't afford to be just "good" or "a contributor".  He
needs to blow people out of their sneakers, or he's not going to make
it.  He will not be cut any slack once he returns.  The only reason he's
still here at all is the C's want to get SOMETHING positive for the
overlarge portion of the player budget he took this season while not with
the team.

This is not really news to anyone, I suspect.  What may surprise some
people is, I think he'll make it.  I think it's a case of the old adage of
having to bottom out before coming back.  He could have sat back and
collected his paycheck while recovering.  He could even have cut some kind
of deal that would have amounted to a severance check from the Celtics and
retired quietly.  Instead, he's working hard to come back to a harsh
spotlight that will hold him personally accountable if he messes up at all.

He's going to need to be the Prototypical Celtic Player, first in practice,
last to leave, and all that.  But there was a time when he was an
All-Star.  He's an athlete, and every athlete is always sure there's one
more season, one more game, left in them.  Maybe, if he's cleaned up and
straightened out, there is.

I remember when Bill Walton came to Boston.  He looked like a tired,
injured man, who wanted to get away from the people who left him for
athletically dead.  He came to Boston, expected only to give Parish a few
desperately needed minutes of rest in a game, and rediscovered his
game.  He was, in many ways, the Walton of old, with the amazing passes we
remembered from 1977.  I loved his enthusiasm, as he was the first Celtic
to openly declare that year that he wanted nothing less than a
Championship.  As fate had it, all we really got from him was one year, his
last.  But what a year.

Perhaps, just perhaps, Vin Baker can give us something like that.  I think
so.  I hope so.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle