Best

My $.02 is that I like this addition. I might have
liked Kenny better, given his familiarity with the
team, but Best has spent most of his career as a
backup and will likely have an easier time than Kenny
stashing his ego. He's also two years younger. Though
Best is short, he's pretty sturdy (same weight as
Bremer), and I don't think his defensive liabilities
are any greater than Kenny's. Their career numbers are
pretty damn comparable esp. when you factor in playing
time differential.

While he was with Indiana, Best was long considered
THE best reserve PG in the league. Ray might say
that's like being the smartest kid in the dumb kids'
row, but the Celtics aren't looking for a star -
they're looking for a mentor to Banks who can run the
same kind of offense when Marcus is on the bench.
(Trivia: Best succeeded Kenny at GA Tech and was
succeeded in turn by Marbury.)

I don't expect Boston to rush Bremer out the door -
for one thing, the team has tended to like to have 3
pgs on hand, and Bremer brings things the other two
don't. This at least gives the team some options,
assuming JR sticks around. I don't think Boston wants
to let a second-team all-rookie selection walk away
for nothing, though it wouldn't shock me if they tried
to move him. It'll be interesting to see what the
owners decree.

If I had to choose between Bremer and Hunter at this
point, I'd probably stick with Hunter, though I think
they're going to cut ties with Bruno - even if that
means waiving him a la Ruben. I don't think the team
would save any money in that scenario, though, except
maybe if another NBA team picks him up. Boston might
still be on the hook for the difference in salaries;
anybody know?