Re: scuttlebutt

At 10:50 AM 7/21/2003 -0400, Josh Ozersky wrote:
Here's a little scuttlebutt that won't be in
the column.  A source close to the team
told me that Vin Baker was not the heaviest
drinker on the team.  Make of that what you
will; I have my own surmises.  That's all he
told me.

Josh, true or not, it's something people need to be more than a tad cautious about making too many extrapolations from. Not just the who, but the what.

First and foremost - having a problem with drinking is not a strict function of how much you drink, it's a function of the effect what you drink has on you and whether you are addicted. I've known medically diagnosed alcoholics who only had a couple drinks a day but the problem stemmed from their NEED for those couple and the effect the ones they drank had on them.

Second - heaviest drinker how? In a given situation or as a continual thing. There's a difference in being the one who drank the most at a few ge-togethers and hence was "a heavier drinker" in people's eyes who were there and someone who is a heavy drinker in the sense of continually drowning themselves in a bottle. I don't drink very often, but have a reasonably hard head when I do if I want to have several drinks on a given night out. So I might seem like a heavier drinker to someone, when another person obeying the 1-2 glass of red wine a day for health reasons idea is actually in truth a much heavier, and certainly more regular, drinker than I.

Kim