Re: Questions about the Summer League for Josh

Ryan asked the question harmlessly:

>Josh,

Snip....

>Also, per your scuttlebut, you mentioned that Vinnie
isn't the biggest drinker on the team.  Who do you
reckon it is?  My first guess was O'Brien (His
Heathcliffian--props to WayRay for such an apt
comparision--mannerisms and mood swings always raised
a red flag in my mind--).  Later it switched to
Antoine (there's gotta be some reason he hasn't
reached his full potential).  But, in the end, I
figured perhaps the scuttlebut wasn't referring to
drinking problem per se (I'm reminded of the bit from
Airplane regarding the pilot with the drinking
problem), but instead to someone who can really put
back the liquor without paying the price....someone
with a high tolerance.  IF that's the case, we'd
probably be looking for a tough guy...and there's no
tougher guy than E. Williams, or Walter....of course
it's stupid to speculate on something this impossible
to speculate on....so I'll quit now ;)

**My understanding is that Walker does not drink.  So it isn't him.  I may
not be his biggest (basketball) fan but I wouldn't want someone to
misunderstand your comment as he seems to be a pretty decent guy, aside for
the hit man posse he sent into the stands that one time.

>Finally, this whole Cooke situation needs to be
addressed.  Josh, did you ever discuss with any Celtic
brass the role that Cooke was supposed to fulfill
during the summer league.  Over the years, the
Celtic's have made of a habit of finding these former
phenoms for their summer league teams and then not
playing them when the games start (specifically I'm
thinking Jaron Rush (Kareem's older brother, played at
UCLA), Omar Cook (last year's phenom, apparently
outplayed by Bremer, and benched after 2 games and
subsequently cut) and Lenny).  What is the point of
getting these guys and then not playing them?  It just
doesn't make sense....there are only two kinds of
players that you take on the summer league
squad...those that you want to see play (so they can
be evaluated) and those that are purely practice
players (so you can practice).  Lenny Cooke, and all
the former phenoms, were clearly only there as those
you want to see playing, yet they all were used
solely, for the most part, as practice players.  This
signals some kind of lack of vision....

Ryan

**My guess is that the summer league "games" are for the fan. The vision
thing happens in their own practice situation. The coaches evaluate guys in
practice/drills where they can control the task.  There is a reason that
these phenoms are bagging groceries that is beyond one-on-one skill. That
said, John Starks made it the hard way, Bremer made it last year and now
maybe Hunter will too.  Better some chance then none I guess.

<Jim

---