Nets grab a win -- but not Conner

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 7/21/2003

he Nets defeated the Celtics, 82-67, as action at the Reebok Pro Summer League
wrapped up yesterday before another sellout crowd of 2,500. At the Clark
Athletic Center gym, New Jersey coach Byron Scott kept a close eye on the
game, as well as on Boston assistant Lester Conner, who was coaching the
Celtics. Scott mentioned that Conner was somebody he would like to add to his
staff as an assistant.

''Lester would be somebody that I would very seriously look at for a number of
reasons,'' said Scott. ''No. 1 because he's a basketball man. He understands
the game. And No. 2, we go way back and I know what type of person he is. But
I know the Celtics really want to keep him here and we're not going to
interfere with that.''

Conner said he would be interested in joining New Jersey only if the job offer
represented a move up. He has spoken to coach Jim O'Brien about the
possibility. While Conner's representative is still looking over the new
contract from the Celtics, he is being paid under the terms of the new deal.

''It's a situation where I'm not looking for a lateral move, but if I'm going
to get an upward move such as an associate head coach, a clear-cut [No. 1]
assistant, coach O'Brien thinks it would be a great move for me,'' said
Conner. ''I've told them to talk to Danny Ainge and coach O'Brien for
permission and they haven't done that. So I'm thinking that they're not really
interested because of the fact I told them that a couple weeks ago.''

Something cooking

The chants for Lenny Cooke finally were rewarded, as Cooke played 25 minutes.
Despite getting 14 points and 13 rebounds from Cooke, Boston still was
overpowered by New Jersey . . . In the early game, San Antonio narrowly
defeated Atlanta, 88-85, to finish with a 6-0 record . . . The LeBron
James-led Cavaliers finished the week with a 2-4 record after losing their
last game, 80-76, to the Wizards. In 24 minutes, James scored 9 points and
grabbed two rebounds . . . Philadelphia's John Salmons won the Most
Outstanding Player Award. He averaged 19.6 points and 5.8 assists per game.
Celtics Kedrick Brown and Brandon Hunter were named to the first team.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of T.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of 350x850ad.gif]