Re: Walter: Not that talented actually.

At 05:56 PM 7/20/2003 -0400, GuyClinch@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Yeah, but I think it's not that simple. What Walter doesn't have is the
> slightest basketball brains, which makes it tough to develop him past a
> certain point.

Its even worse if you count skills as "talent" not just athleticism.. Most
people do e.g. Walker is talented because he shoot, handle, pass and dribble
quite well for a big man. I think you do have to judge people this way in
part..not just based on athleticism. (Actually I think Walter athleticism is
overrated some.. I think Tony Battie is more athletic.) I mean would you say Bethel
Johnson (Pats ultra-fast wideout) is a talented basketball player? ...

Good point. I'm not sure if Tony is more purely athletic or just has better basketball skills and looks smoother, but you're right about not confusing the two and that with Walter the edge has to go to athleticism.

Anyway, If you look at this way Walter is perhaps the least talented 3 in the
NBA. Think about it.. Walter is perhaps the only guy who plays the small
forward in the NBA who can't pass, dribble, or rebound. Its kinda staggering. I
can't think of any other 3 remotely like that.

Ah-HA. Heard me cursing when they keep having him do the out of bounds passes, just because he's big enough to see over the defender <g>

And as far as brains go:

Personally, I think Walter makes KBrown and Mosio look like basketball
savants.
He makes an astounding number of bonehead plays when he is freewheeling out
there.

Yeah, that's why I'm hesitant about trying to develop him too much more, particularly to become more diversified on offense. He's not someone who reliably handles multiple options well. It's not lack of willingness, and I think the coaching staff realize it when defining his role.

 I find it amazing that an old school skilled player like Tommy H. would
love the guy. Its like loving Manute Bol.

Another nice guy. Read his auto-biography sometime, for some interesting reading, if you haven't already.
Tommy's always had a soft spot for good guys who hustle, particularly if they can run since that's his preferred offense

Now Battie there is a guy I like. He played through painful knees all year
and still produced well. He works out and maximizes his ability. He has learned
some better offfensive moves and has improved his passing, IMHO.

Mmmm, I like the Batman myself and agree that he has become steadily better and worked to do it and probably doesn't get enough credit for it. Still, in fairness, Walter is what he is, which is much more of a role player and isn't totally worthless. I just wouldn't be broken hearted to see him being not worthless for someone else or being not worthless much further down on an improved Cs bench.

Kim