Re: Just curious: if Kobe goes, do the Lakers get cap relief?

At 08:41 AM 7/20/2003 -0400, Stephen Beauregard wrote:
Thanks for the homework. I do think that a team should get cap relief if a
player dies.

Absolutely, they should. I wasn't disagreeing with that. Just the comparison when we didn't with Reggie. On top of the CBA change I pointed to, it was a vote by *the rest of the owners* that denied us relief, NOT the league offices. Yet people keep pointing to it in to PROVE that the league itself will never cut us a break. Sorry, I don't do self-glorified victimhood well, much less when the basis for it is wrong.

I do not think that a team should get cap relief for a player's
act of violence.

Cap relief, no. But I do believe they should be given the exemption to sign another player at half that salary (vs being limited to minimum salary options if they're over the cap) if they will lose someone for an entire season or more. The Lakers likely wouldn't get cap relief with Kobe anyway, if he is convicted and put away, because he's only got a player option year left after this season.

Kim