Re: Just curious: if Kobe goes, do the Lakers get cap relief?

At 05:29 PM 7/19/2003 -0400, Stephen Beauregard wrote:
I find this very interesting. I agree with you wholeheartedly

I don't. Per usual the Reggie situation is being brought up for comparison in totally different situations and completely ignoring the fact that when Reggie died, there was nothing in the CBA to address that situation but is now. Things change. Specifically because of Reggie's death and what followed. I wish people would get over it (that aspect of it, not missing Reggie the person and player).

and me being me
I am skeptical that even if Kobe did what he is accused of that he will see
one day of prison time.

That said, if he is convicted and gets jail time, what happens to his
contract? Does he collect in prison? What happens to the Lakers? This has to
be a precendent. WHat will the players association want?

In part if depends upon his actual contract and what behavior clauses may be in it. However, Player Conduct per the CBA http://www.nbpa.com/cba/articleVI.html Section 4. Unlawful Violence. When a player is convicted of (including a plea of guilty, no contest, or nolo contendere to) a violent felony, he shall immediately be suspended by the NBA for a minimum of ten (10) games.

Makes it appear that he gets suspended. Note that just as occurred with Baker, suspension simply means the player doesn't get paid, doesn't reduce the cap effect or invalidate the contract (although specific terms of Kobe's individual contract may make that possible). However, given that such a conviction would mean inability to perform for rather more than 10 days, the team could petition the league for a couple forms of relief. One of them would be immediate and is what was just denied the Magic in the Grant Hill case - a cap exemption to sign a player (NOT cap relief, but an exemption) for 1/2 Kobe's salary. The other would be to apply to have him removed from the cap in 2 years if he was still under contract then (which he would not be as things stand now since he is looking at FA), as would now be the case with a situation like Reggie dying.

Kim