Re: NY Daily News - Basketball - Antoine trade isn't dead yet

< BOSTON - The proposed trade that would have brought Antoine Walker
to New York would have included Mike Sweetney, the Knicks' first-round
draft pick.

According to a league source, the Knicks offered Sweetney, Kurt Thomas,
Charlie Ward and Frank Williams to Boston for Walker, the All-Star
forward. The trade was discussed after the Knicks made Sweetney the
ninth overall pick in last month's NBA draft.

Boston rejected the deal but may reconsider if it can't find a better offer
for Walker. Celtics GM Danny Ainge appears committed to trading Walker.>
- New York Daily News - July 15

It has been rumored forever that the Knicks have been eager to rid
themselves of three players - Sprewell, Ward, and Kurt Thomas.  Can
someone please explain to me why the Knicks feel they can afford to
trade the only decent center they have for yet another PF (Walker) when
they now have about a dozen PF's? Even playing out of position, center
Thomas averaged 14 ppg, 7.90 rpg, 1.20 bpg, and a .483 FG%.  What's
wrong with 14-8?  It is superior to Battiebs 7-6, n'est ce pas?

I would have jumped at this NY trade.  But if Ainge didn't pull the trigger
on it prior to the draft, why would he any time in the future?

Arguably, Ainge's two favorite players over Banks in the draft (aside
from the first three biggies) were Bosh and Sweetney.  But Sweetney
has now officially been signed by the Knicks which means he cannot
now be traded for several months.  Meanwhile we went ahead and
drafted a PG and are considering adding E. Strickland as the final piece
to our 2003-04 thirteen-man puzzling roster.

At some point Ainge must realize he can't have it both ways. He must
either bow to the owners' wishes to remain a playoff team while he
slowly and conservatively tiptoes around attempting to integrate
his own system, or he must disregard their wishes, clean house,
and boldly start over from ground zero in hopes of creating the
eventual juggernaut of his and our future dreams.

One or the other, Danny.  It's your choice... or is it?

Egg