Celtics say security improved

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 7/13/2003

he word around the Celtics' Merrimac Street offices is ''LeBron, who?'' The
hosts of the 2003 Reebok Pro Summer League have tried to keep a sense of humor
about the arrival of No. 1 draft pick LeBron James, the 18-year-old who starts
his NBA career with unprecedented hype. But who are they kidding?

Boston fans seized the opportunity to see James up close and almost every
session of the weeklong summer league quickly sold out. The Friday night
games, along with those scheduled for Saturday and Sunday afternoon, have a
limited number of tickets still available. But those sessions are expected to
sell out in advance. Because of the overwhelming response to advance sales,
fans will not be able to walk up and purchase tickets. The tiny Clark Athletic
Center at UMass-Boston (capacity 2,500) will see more than 40,000 people walk
through its doors this week.

The crowds, which represent a 20 percent increase over last year, coupled with
the James factor, have necessitated tighter security. Fans still will enjoy an
up-close view of James, though there will be more security officials on hand
and more defined separation between athletes and fans. In years past, crowds
would gather around the narrow corridor leading to the locker rooms and wait
for autographs. When players left the locker room, they often would mill about
the lobby or sit in the bleachers while waiting for rides. Don't expect to
find James hanging out in the stands.

''The way that we bring the players in and out will be a little bit different
this year, their entrance and exit from the building,'' said UMass-Boston
athletic director Charlie Titus. ''We're certainly going to secure the locker
room area differently than we have in the past. Hopefully, with the event
management firm that the Celtics are bringing in, we'll be able to do a much
better job of keeping the crowds separate from the kids while they're in the
court area.''

According to the Celtics, the key to improving security for the league has
been communication. Over the last several months, the team has worked closely
with the supplemental security firm it hired for the event and the
UMass-Boston police. The goal is to make all areas inside and around the Clark
Athletic Center secure. People going between the lobby and the outdoor track
area will be closely monitored, though fans are still welcome to partake in
the basketball-related festivities located outside the building. Security
officials also will closely check tickets to make sure fans attend the session
for which they paid.

''LeBron certainly is an attraction to many of the media and the fans,'' said
Celtics executive vice president of marketing and sales John Brody. ''We will
certainly be watching a bit more closely because of the level of media
attention. We're working closely with the Cavaliers and all the other nine
teams to make sure that everybody has a safe experience.''

Brody downplayed concerns that James would play a limited schedule this week,
though The Next Big Thing will fly to Los Angeles to attend the ESPY awards
and miss Cleveland's Wednesday night game. ''I think the fans will be treated
to some pretty exciting basketball,'' said Brody.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of T.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of Big.gif]