Walker keeps his eye on ball

He refuses to be distracted

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 7/13/2003

t's all about opening the checkbook. Whether talking about the Celtics' needs
for next season or his charity golf tournament, which kicks off tonight with a
dinner and party at Mohegan Sun, Antoine Walker knows money matters. When
asked what the Celtics' ownership must do during free agency, Walker said,
''They're going to have to open their checkbooks. That's the bottom line.''

Walker hopes the spending includes an extension for himself and a deal worth
more than the veteran minimum for Walter McCarty. But Walker has resolved not
to let contract issues or trade rumors become distractions this offseason.

A few weeks ago, Walker was the subject of rampant trade rumors coming out of
New York. A deal with the Knicks was reportedly under consideration, though
director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said, ''Nothing is close to
happening with Antoine.'' Then, Ainge aggressively pursued All-Star power
forward Karl Malone at the start of the free agency period.

Earlier in his career, Walker would have been bothered by such speculation and
actions. But yesterday after finishing a round at the Fox Hopyard Golf Course
in East Haddam, Conn., where the charity tournament to benefit inner-city kids
through the 8 Foundation will take place, Walker calmly answered questions
about his future.

''Obviously, it's not great to have your name mentioned in rumors and trade
calls,'' said Walker. ''But I'm at the point in my career right now where it
goes in one ear and out the other. I've got two years left on my deal and I
plan on being in Boston. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I like
Boston. I love my teammates. The city of Boston has been great to me, and
honestly, it'd be very difficult for me to leave Boston. Obviously, for my
name to be out there, they may think somebody is a better fit. I'll roll with
the punches.

''My agent [Mike Higgins] spoke to the team. As of right now, I'm supposed to
be a Celtic, but obviously we'll see. On [Wednesday], I'm asking for my
extension and hopefully I can get it. I'm trying to be in Boston for a long
time. If I don't get it, I'll move on.

''As long as my agent's in contact with the team and understands my future,
that's fine. I don't even worry about it. But my thought process right now is
that I'm coming back in October.''That said, Walker has considered the
possibility of being traded. If that happens, Walker has thought about opting
out of the last year of his contract and testing the free agent market. When
asked if he was set on having the extension in hand this summer, Walker said
he did not see what difference waiting six or seven months might make to the
team. Walker stopped by the team's practice facility Friday before hitting the
links with coach Jim O'Brien. The cocaptain liked what he saw of first-round
picks Marcus Banks and Kendrick Perkins. But for next season, Walker believes
the free agents added to or kept on the team could make a big difference. He
has kept a close eye on the moves made by New Jersey. With the anticipated
re-signing of Jason Kidd and the acquisition of Alonzo Mourning, Walker calls
the Nets ''the strongest team on paper in the East.''

''There are teams that are focused on winning championships,'' said Walker.
''We've got to get better, if the focus is winning championships. There's no
question we need Walter back. I like our team. Obviously, we need to add a few
pieces, but I like our team. I've always liked our team since I've been here.
I told people a long time ago if you give us a chance to play together, we're
going to get you in the playoffs and we're going to put a legitimate shot up.

''I'm excited about the upcoming season, but only if we do what's right as a
team and an organization. We're going to wait until [Wednesday], and
hopefully, these guys make the right decision and put the right people around
me and Paul [Pierce].''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of I.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of Big.gif]