Re: Mourning, Bird

On 7/11/03 10:36 PM, Troy Hash wrote:

> I had the same thought when I heard this.  I will never forget/forgive Isiah
> for that comment.  Up until that time, I had great respect for him, but after
> that I had/have no use for him at all.

For any number of players, it would have been at least reasonable, but Bird
would have been star no matter what he looked like.  If Isiah had said it
about Dirk Nowitzki (or someone like that) it might have more sense, because
tall athletic scorers that are somewhat lacking on the defensive end are not
all THAT rare.  He's good, but Isiah's comment would have made more sense,
at least as trash-talking goes.  While the argument over who is the best
ever is certainly open, and Bird is by no means a 100% lock, he's in the top
5, and to say what Isiah said was not only race-baiting, but absolutely
stupid and misinformed.  Oh, and he's a better coach, too.  :-)