[no subject]

There is no denying James' popularity for a league that needs him.
Five-dollar tickets were being scalped for $80 last night, and his Cavaliers' jersey
sold out.

James' number: 23.

"I don't see him being the next Kobe or the next Michael," Goodwin said.
"He's a cross between those two guys. And he passes like Magic. He's a hybrid.
He'll be the first LeBron James."

As for Payton, who is selling his house in Bellevue, Goodwin will earn chump
change this year (about $190,000) when the Glove signs with the Lakers, as
expected, on July 16.

Goodwin said that Payton spurned more lucrative offers from Portland, Miami,
Indiana and New York because of the Lakers' lure of a possible championship.
Plus, Shaquille O'Neal wanted Payton.

"Shaq made it clear to me that I'd better get Gary to L.A. or he would break
my neck," Goodwin laughed.

All I want to do is wring it, because Goodwin represents all that is wrong in
America -- these are my feelings about everyone who is younger and more
successful than me.

Sports Illustrated ranked Goodwin No. 41 on its list of the 101 most
influential minorities in sports, ahead of even Magic Johnson (43rd).

In contrast, some rag mag ranked the Go 2 Guy No. 101 in its list of "White
Guys Who Haven't Done Much."

In the SI rankings, the thumbnail on Goodwin says that he has negotiated $700
million in pro contracts. He also represents Jamal Crawford, Shareef
Abdur-Rahim and Todd MacCulloch. He used to represent Jason Kidd. (TAM- He also used
to represent Paul Pierce. Pierce and Kidd are both now represented by Jeff
Shwartz)

With James' future, it is not unreasonable to suggest that Goodwin will have
negotiated $1 billion in pro hoops contracts by the time he retires.

(Thankfully, P-I staffers John Hickey and Molly Yanity are sitting next to
math-challenged Go 2 Guy, assuring me that a thousand million is indeed a
billion.)

Which means at 4 percent, Goodwin will have earned, I don't know ... $40
million? That's not even factoring in his take from the endorsement deals.

So I asked Goodwin if I could have 4 percent of his 4 percent, thinking that
I'd never have to work again, because 4 percent of his 4 percent is, uh, hmmm.

"Sure," he said, "you've just got to bring me some value."

And that was where the conversation ended, because I had nothing to offer him
but grief.