"Fractionally speaking, Goodwin's loaded"

** Here's something to chew on.
Anybody else thinking of changing professions?**

Thursday, July 10, 2003

Go 2 Guy: Fractionally speaking, Goodwin's loaded

By Jim Moore
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER COLUMNIST

I didn't pay attention to LeBron James' splashy NBA debut in a summer league
game Tuesday in Orlando.

But then, I don't pay attention to a lot of things.

I just know this: After talking to his agent yesterday, I needed
anti-depressants or a stiff cocktail.

For some reason, Aaron Goodwin returned my call. I don't think I've ever been
very high on his list of favorite reporters, mainly because another of his
clients, Gary Payton, is not very high on my list of favorite players.

On the other hand, Damon Stoudamire, yet another of Goodwin's clients, is
very high on something, and I think we all know what it is. To try to smuggle
marijuana wrapped in foil through an airport metal detector, well, I'm inclined
to take a box of rocks over the Trail Blazers guard if he ever appears on
Jeopardy.

That's not to say I don't have my moments.

As an agent, Goodwin typically gets 4 percent of what his client earns. With
James, that's a lot.

Before James even swooshed into Orlando for his first meaningless hoops as a
pro, Goodwin negotiated a $100 million endorsement deal with Nike.

"What's 4 percent of $100 million?" I asked P-I assistant sports editor Nick
Rousso.

"Four million," he replied, looking at me like I was some kind of dummy,
which was understandable.

Imagine that, with one signature at the bottom of a contract, Goodwin earned
more in one second than I will in more than six decades, give or take an eon.

So we were off to a bad start. It degenerated from there when I asked Goodwin
if James deserved that kind of money before proving himself.

(Another dumb question ... what's his agent going to say, "It's ridiculous,
he's done nothing to deserve it?")

"The truth of the matter is that it's America, and the kid is a product,"
Goodwin said. "He's a cultural icon right now. With the interest in him, in a
free market, he should get whatever possible with no parameters whatsoever.

"It's great that Nike saw what the kid can do."

Other companies saw what the kid could do, too.

"We've gotten more deals since," Goodwin said.