Mailman, Chris Ford and Nets (are now in a mess either way!)

     NBA NOTEBOOK
      Malone will cast his lot with Lakers

      By Associated Press, Globe Staff, 7/11/2003

      ree agent Karl Malone, the NBA's second-leading all-time scorer,
committed yesterday to join the Los Angeles Lakers, giving them a lineup with
four superstars.

      Larry Miller, the owner of the Utah Jazz with whom Malone has played
since 1985, said he had spoken with the forward and Malone confirmed he
intends to sign with the Lakers.

      Malone joins Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and another newcomer, Gary
Payton.

      Even though Malone and Payton have agreed to come to Los Angeles, the
first day free agents can sign contracts is Wednesday.

      Both Malone, a two-time league MVP, and Payton have not played on an NBA
championship team.

      Also, a decision on whether to charge Bryant with sexually assaulting a
19-year-old woman will not be announced until next week. The decision had been
expected by the end of this week, but Eagle, Colo., District Attorney Mark
Hurlbert's spokeswoman said it wouldn't come until next week.

      Philly for Ford

      Former Celtics coach Chris Ford joined the Philadelphia 76ers as an
assistant to new coach Randy Ayers.

      Ford, who spent the last two seasons as the coach at Brandeis, led the
Celtics to consecutive Atlantic Division titles in 1991 and 1992, and also
coached the Milwaukee Bucks and the Clippers.

      ''I'm absolutely thrilled to be back in the NBA,'' said Ford. ''I owe
Randy Ayers a big-time favor for letting me back in the league.''

      Ford, 54, had two interviews with Philadelphia that were sandwiched
around his daughter Katie's wedding.

      ''I also owe Mike Woodson [former 76ers assistant coach],'' said Ford.
''When he interviewed for the Philly job he brought my name up and I guess it
stuck.''

      Green signings

      The Celtics signed first-round draft picks Marcus Banks and Kendrick
Perkins yesterday. As the No. 13 pick, Banks will receive $4.84 million on a
three-year deal. Perkins agreed to a three-year deal worth $2.63 million. The
amounts of both rookie contracts are stipulated by the Collective Bargaining
Agreement.

      Boston acquired the draft rights to Banks and Perkins in a draft-night
trade with Memphis. Both draft picks are in town for the Celtics' summer
league. Banks joins the Celtics after two seasons at UNLV where he earned a
reputation as a quick point guard with strong defensive skills. Perkins
recently graduated from Ozen High School in Beaumont, Texas. Fans get their
first chance to see the rookies Monday at UMass-Boston.

      A disclaimer

      Nets president and general manager Rod Thorn denied published reports
that All-Star point guard Jason Kidd demanded coach Byron Scott be fired in
order to re-sign with the team. The New York Post and The Record of Bergen
County cited unnamed sources in their reports. ''I want to reiterate that this
was an erroneous story without merit -- Jason Kidd has never asked nor
demanded that Coach Scott be fired, and to be portrayed otherwise is an
injustice to Jason as well as Coach Scott,'' Thorn said in a statement . . .
LeBron James will be leaving the Cavaliers summer league team to attend ESPN's
''The ESPY Awards'' Wednesday in Los Angeles. He has been nominated for two
awards. The Cavaliers team will play in the Celtics' summer league next week.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of 1x1.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of F.gif]