Re: Spurs and Kidd

The Kidd thing with San Antonio baffles me, and I'm a card-carrying member
of the Jason Kidd Fan Club. As great as I think he is, I just don't see the
fit. That's a team that likes to run its offense through Duncan (rightfully
so) and the point guard often needs to  hit open jumpers, not Kidd's strong
suit. Not to mention, they have Tony Parker, the best young point guard in
the league. The Spurs have one chance at this, and if they sign Kidd,
they've eliminated their chances to get the big man and swingman they need
(Stephen Jackson isn't the answer). The whole thing is just weird. Wouldn't
they be better suited for the long run if they signed Maggette and
Nesterovic rather than Kidd? Doesn't that make more sense?

And yes, Olowokandi in Denver seems like an odd fit, but that's at least a
defensible risk. He gives you the big, skilled center to bang with the big
boys. At his best, he's one of the top five centers in the league. At his
worst, though, you have a cap-clogging underachiever.

And count me in the camp that says Payton and Malone seem like bad fits in
LA. It's not about shots-there are plenty of shots to be had in LA, but not
many players who can make them. The bad fit is the system. LA plays the
triangle, which requires a lot of movement away from the ball. There aren't
many pick-and-rolls, which are Malone's bread-and-butter. Kobe is the
creator in the offense, so the ball won't be in Payton's hands as much. The
power forward needs to hit an 18-foot jump shot consistently. Malone can hit
that shot, but not always reliably. Not to mention both Malone and Payton
have reputations as clubhouse problems (at least occasionally). Just a bad
fit.

Mark

--- --- ---

(the other) mark wrote:

Does anyone else not get the Spurs push to get Kidd? I mean, yes, Kidd is
the best PG in the game, but Tony Parker is only going to get better and IMO
the Spurs are much more in need of a Center -- Brad Miller, Rasho, etc. If
I'm the Spurs I'm going after 2 PF/C types with all their money. I mean
who's gonna guard Shaq or Malone (whoever Duncan doesn't guard)? I guess
they're gonna rely on Malik Rose.

And what happens to Parker? He's said he's not interested in playing the 2
guard.

Likewise, does anyone understand why the Nuggets would bother with
Olowokandi? Seems to be exactly the opposite type of player they've been
trying to build around