Re: Efficiency rating on nba.com?

Stats are nice, but to me, the main stat is the team's W/L record, and
their playoff performance, if any.  The numbers can be a guide, but they
don't tell you the little things, like the guy who dives into the third row
for a loose ball in a preseason game, or someone who's willing to take
repeated charges from a player twice his size.  Conversely, they also don't
show you if a player is picking his spots too carefully, or not running
back on D quite as fast as you know he can on offense.  For myself, nothing
compares to simply watching them play the game, and seeing what they do
there, where it counts.

That's one of the reasons the CBW doesn't have a whole lot of "stat stuff".

Ok, that, and the fact that I'm lousy at math.  :>)

At 01:09 PM 7/8/03 -0400, Hsu wrote:

>I didn't notice until recently that each player summary on nba.com has an
>"efficiency" stat....
>Efficiency: The Daily Recap
>How do many NBA coaches quickly evaluate a player's game performance? They
>check his efficiency.
>
>NBA.com now evaluates all players based on the efficiency formula, the
>same one also used by fantasy game players in Virtual GM: ((Points +
>Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks) - ((Field Goals Att. - Field Goals
>Made) + (Free Throws Att. - Free Throws Made) + Turnovers)).
>----
>
>This formula seems rather arbitrary, but the description (and the fact
>it's used by NBA's official website) seems to imply that NBA coaches might
>actually use it.  What do people think about this formula vs. something
>like TPR?

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle