Who wants the PG job in Boston, anyway?

I was just musing--none too seriously--that maybe we should try talking
Cousy out of retirement.  He can't run for beans anymore--only because the
other players are young enough to be his great-grandkids--but at least we'd
have ONE player on the court who knows how to make a proper outlet pass for
the fast break.

I remember the C's teams of the 80's.  We had three of the slowest players
in the NBA--Bird, Parish, and Walton--and Boston was driving the Lakers
crazy(-er) with fast break basketball.  We might not be able to get the
fastest people in the game today, but I wouldn't mind seeing some guys on
the floor with the notion of beating the other guys before the defense sets
up, especially against WC teams.

While I don't agree that Walker is out of condition (c'mon, people, he's
not lazing on the couch stuffing ho-hos into his mouth), I agree that steps
can be taken to improve his condition--and that of the whole team.  Coach
O'Brien has had two seasons to instill defense.  Now we need the fast break
offense to go with it.  It does no good to prevent a basket or steal the
ball if we can't score at the other end.

Supposedly Kedrick Brown is fast enough to join the Justice League.  Let's
see him actually run out there--and if/when he does, the ball needs to get
to him quickly.  Same for any other player hustling up the court.

I know we've heard the song before, but if the C's had even ONE player to
distract opposing defenses, Pierce and Walker would be a LOT more effective
offensively.  Yes, it means someone else--hopefully a PG, but I'll take
what we can get--has to bring the ball upcourt.  No one believes that
neither Walker or Pierce will fail to touch the ball.  They put a banger on
Walker, and the other four guys try to slow Pierce down.  They don't CARE
about the other three C's on the court, because none of them are
consistently stepping up.

I think it's possible that Ainge is testing the trade waters in hopes that
tax-dreading owners will not be as quick to gobble up the available free
agents.  I know this sounds off-the-wall, but I think the unsuccessful
attempt to get Malone was a precursor to going after Jason Kidd.  If the
C's land Kidd AND a big man in Center, the C's would demolish the East.

But Kidd has made it clear he wants to go to a championship
contender.  Without him, the Nets are a lottery team.  The Lakers, even
before the unfortunate problems faced now by Kobe, are falling apart at the
seams, to the glee of Celtics fans planetwide. I hate to say this, but
Boston NEEDS at least one Big Man in Center and a PG to have more than a
longshot at winning the title (not that it will sway me from my normal
positive predictions come October).  Kidd won't even sneeze at Boston
unless they show him they're serious about winning NOW.  Otherwise, Kidd
will be wearing a Spurs uniform by August.

Is Kidd the C's savior?  Nah.  But in NJ, he was pretty much it
offensively.  In Boston, he knows everyone is sweating bullets guarding
Pierce, and hoping Walker doesn't remember how to drive to the hoop.  With
the defensive pressure elsewhere and a three-way scoring threat, Kidd might
be able to give the C's the offensive boost they need.  Plus, he's willing
to run his feet off both ways.  If Boston gets a Center to go along with
him, I'd personally be willing to give Kidd a shot.

Ok, ok, don't bump each other in line to tell me how and why this is a bad
idea.  It's been a long, tough day, and a Monday to boot.  i freely admit
this sort of prognostication is not a strong point for me, which is why I
stay away from the virtual GM posts for the most part.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle