Re: Herald: Walker Deals Stack Deck

At 01:14 PM 7/3/2003 -0400, Dan Forant wrote:
So what does it take now for a GM to *make the grade*.

With whom? That's a relevant question. If Red was in his prime today, some fans would call him an idiot for not getting a true 7 footer at center who could at least provide some offense.
With the reasonable segments of the media and his peers? A few times showing that he cannot be conned into dumb mistakes or otherwise taken advantage of to be OK, then some actively good moves (too soon to tell on the draft) to move on to being actively praised.

 Anyone taking Ainge
for granted is nuts. He's just as capable of putting a team together as the
next guy. He was a player and coach and has been around long enough to be as
wise as the next.

Oh come on Dan, plenty of people have experience like that and still couldn't do it. You know better than that. Don't get me wrong, I think Danny will do not just fine but quite well. But that's hardly a given because he was a player and coach. And if being around long enough always lead to wisdom, we wouldn't be having these discussions about Walker, who by that standard should be the wisest person with the Celtics short of Arnie Scheller.
Besides which, it's human nature for most people to try to take advantage of the new guy (in whatever field) until he shows you can't. Like I said, fresh meat shark feeding frenzy.

That Herald article is way off base. If he does think
someone else other than Walker will help the team more he has plenty of
reasons.

The article didn't say anything different. It said he knows better than to snatch at the first deal that shows or deal him out of desperation and backs Danny's own statement that these rumors have nothing to do with him by even giving a reason why.

Kim