Re: Berry/Walker

Very fair questions, Cecil. But those same questions are the reason you'd
get him for the mid-level exception rather than the maximum. It's a
give-and-take, and obviously a risk. But at the mid-level range, and
probably with no more than a three-year deal, it's not an expensive risk.
Basically, would you trade Antoine for Lamar Odom and $8 million worth of
salary cap relief? Subtract that $8 million and EWill's $5 million, and the
Celts would be far under the luxury tax level again next offseason, and
again in position to make some moves.

Aldridge threw Odom's name out there. I'm just saying we can't judge an
Antoine trade solely on who we get in return. It may be what seems like a
lousy trade in terms of players (Antoine for Terrell Brandon, for example,
since Brandon is retiring), but if it leads to another acquisition in free
agency, then you have to judge the entirety.

As for Antoine's numbers, which Peter brought up... He's also among the
league leaders in minutes played and shot attempts, and demands the ball in
his hands more than any other player in the league (very subjective
statement on my part, I know). He's a volume stat guy. You watch him and he
plays 43 minutes at power forward and walks away with seven rebounds. That's
not good enough. He plays 43 minutes at defacto point guard and walks away
with four assists. That's not good enough. He's just versatile enough to
damage the team structure. He plays power forward because that's the only
position he can defend, but he doesn't do the dirty work you need from a
power forward. He initiates the offense like a point guard, but he doesn't
do a good enough job distributing the ball. He shoots threes like a shooting
guard, but he doesn't do a good enough job of making them (sub 33 percent).
He does all those things just well enough to manage some middling numbers
across the board. But not well enough to justify doing them. But does anyone
believe he'll change his game at this point in his career? Just because
Danny Ainge says so? Like he has said, he's a three-time all-star and in the
playoffs. He just needs to keep doing what he's doing. Doesn't sound like a
guy preparing for a drastic change. And I think Ainge knows it.

Ainge is out to build a TEAM. The previous regime was out to fill in around
Pierce and Walker and tailor everything to them. As good as Duncan is, you
don't see the Spurs building their team that way. Duncan is a piece-the most
important piece-but still just a piece of a very strong team. Same with
Webber. And Nowitzki. That's what Ainge is trying to do, and I think he
doesn't believe Antoine can be a part of that. You have to make too many
concessions to his game.

Mark

P.S. Have a great Fourth everyone.

Cecil wrote:

But there are so many other factors to consider when thinking about Odom
beginning with substance abuse issues.  Is this guy gonna kick the habit?
And if not, what does that do with DAs pristine image?  I'm also concerned
about his durability in comparison to Walker.  Odom has never played a full
season.  If he is to be an impact player, doesn't he need to be on court?

I think he is a talented player.  Just not sure he would blossom right now
given his level of maturity, which I don't think is very high.