why and why not

I would trade Antoine because:  l.  he's an all-star in name only; his stats show a player who does as much harm as good--missed threes, turnovers, declining rebounds, plus an offense that stagnates because of his control.  Not to mention average defense.  2.  the team leader mantle is over-used (not over-rated); Pierce and others can lead this team and once a functioning, fast-break team re-appears, the chemistry will be fine.  Walker would be missed in the locker room, but so would E. Williams.  Besides, doesn't the leader off the floor lose his following when he makes so many on the floor mistakes?  3.  the summer is the time; a mid-season trade would be tough for the team to deal with.  4.  he can't shoot.  5.  if our style of play is stagnated because of him, then cut your losses, get a good rebounder in return and do the deal.  6.  Overall, he knows the game, he talks the talk, but he hasn't given the team what it's needed; forget the chicken and egg argument--it's Obie, it's
 Antoine--we need rebounding, we need passing, we need something more than 8 for 24 for 18 points, over and over again.

Not so fast, coffee breath!  For one:  Walker is a true all-star.  He has been a key to leading his team into the second round of the playoffs two years running.  He has fire and desire, and the stats can be turned around with the arrival of a point guard.  Why trade off such a potential talent when the other pieces to the puzzle are just arriving?  Second point:  you obviously haven't seen how often and how well Antoine rallies the troops; he is a true coach on the floor and that counts a lot over a long season.  Third, there's no good time to do a deal in a hurry; wait and see how Danny's leadership works out; Toine may wake up and be our best player under the new system.  Four:  ok, so he can't shoot; get others to take up the slack.  Five:  we can't get one player to replace Walker at his best; getting two or three is meaningless.  Kurt Thomas is a reserve compared to Walker.  And six:  Again, a new system, a new point guard, a running team:  Walker came out of Kentucky, he knows
 that game; just rename him captain, make him rebound and post up and you'll see a real all-star.

Cheers,  Gene (who likes Walker but doesn't enjoy watching him play)