RE: These sneakers are made for Walkering

At 10:02 PM 6/30/03 -0700, John Lyell wrote:

>Snoop, have you missed the playoff's the last two years and the seasons?

Not according to the CBW, no.  :>)

>He
>can't play a position, has no hops, gets killed by 4's, can't stay with 3's.

To me, the problem was simply that when Walker was drafted, he was the only
really good player the C's had.  They paid big to get him and keep him as
the projected core player of the team.  This was still the case when Pierce
was drafted.  People figured Pierce would be Robin to Walker's Batman.  Who
figured Pierce would become Wolverine (recovering from that injury) and
Tony Battie would become the Batman?  Walker was overhyped.  He would have
had to leap tall buildings for a single 'bound to live up to all that.

The problem is that Walker has been playing too long, too hard, and
frequently totally out of his normal position.  He needs not to be the de
facto point guard--though given that he had to learn as he went, he didn't
do THAT bad--and to have someone capable of coming off the bench for
extended minutes to replace him at appropriate times.  Robert Parish's
career was extended, in my none-too-humble opinion, by several years with
the presence of Bill Walton.

I think Walker has proven he is willing to back Pierce as a player and
O'Brien as coach.  Let's give the team a chance with the new ownership
before launching Walker into the hinterlands.

>A deal for Thomas and Spree wouldn't be that bad as along as we have
>something else in the works to get a 5.  Battie and Thomas could play the 3
>then make a move to get a serviceable big body 5 like Drobjnak, Marc
>Jackson, Kelvin Cato, Adonal Foyle, etc.

Two problems with that, as I see it.  First, I don't want Spreewell
anywhere near my team.  Period.  I don't care if he's the athletic second
coming of Larry Bird.  He just doesn't deserve to be in the NBA.  I firmly
believe he should be warming the bench in prison for attempted murder.

Second, even if the C's made the trade, There's not enough trade "bait"
left to get that 5 without losing a vital position somewhere else.

>Or move Walker to Chi town for Rose or Tyson Chandler. Forget Fizer, E Rob.
>Trenton Hassel would be a decent throw in. He has always played good  D
>against Pierce.

Sorry, but Jerry Krause has left the building.  Unless Chris Wallace takes
over the Bulls, that trade won't happen.

BTW, I know I'm shooting down your ideas, it's not directed at you.  I just
have a very strong personal objection to Spree coming to the C's for ANY
reason.

Besides, I think Walker can help this team, given the right players with him.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle