Re: James ruled ineligible

At 01:02 PM 2/1/03 +1100, John wrote:
"If people wanna give LeB some clothes, whats wrong with that?"

The rules--which after all the fuss with the car, LeBron should have burned
in letters of fire in his brain--state specifically that athletes can't
receive money or gifts from someone because of their athletic ability if
they want to remain "amateur" athletes.

Period.

LeBron knew about it, and he accepted the clothes after posing for picture
posters in a store that was using him to advertise.  I guarantee you,
they're not hauling high school kids every week for that.  They wanted him
because he's a famous basketball player.  The clothes were, combined, worth
$845.

The school had to forfeit it's most recent win--which also ended it's
undefeated season.  The school had moved many of it's games to NBA-sized
venues to accommodate the huge numbers of fans who wanted to see him
play.  They're going to lose a fortune having to move back to their
"normal" court.  LeBron comes off looking like a selfish, greedy idiot who
didn't have the brains God gave a goose.

He could have waited, and bought a case of jerseys with his first NBA
paycheck.  He could have said, "no, thanks" and continued to help his
team.  He could have expressed outrage that some ignoramus actually
deliberately flouted the rules in such a blatant manner, when they HAD to
know he was under close scrutiny.

Instead, his incredible selfishness and monumental stupidity have cost him,
and his team, dearly.  The kid may be a heck of a player, physically, but
does anyone REALLY want a player who boasts about his 3.5 average, yet
can't evidently put two and two together without help.

His mom is no prize either.  At least he comes by his disregard for the
rules honestly, as she financed a $50,000 car for her 18 year old
kid.  Somehow, I have trouble imagining say, Larry Bird  and his mom
behaving like such unmitigated jackasses.

They want to appeal the decision?  They're lucky if the OSHAA doesn't
decide to launch a full investigation of him AND his school.  He should
stand up and say, "I'm sorry, I screwed up," then keep his big mouth shut
and pray he gets taken by a team that will teach him how to act like his
brain cells occasionally function.  God knows neither his family, his coach
or his teammates have.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle
Please visit the
<http://users.mfi.net/fluteaphrael/celticsbeagle/celtics.html>Celtics