be proud of.

Ex-Jayhawk White bhumbled' by honor

By chuck Woodling, Sports Editor

Tuesday, January 28, 2003

First it was Paul Pierce. Then it was Jo Jo White.

The two best Kansas University basketball players ever to don Boston Celtics
uniforms were in Allen Fieldhouse for jersey-retirement ceremonies within
three days of each other.

"Paul just left and he got his number retired before me," White said. "How
did that happen?"

White was kidding, of course, but it did take a liberalization of KU
jersey-retirement criteria to make both college and pro backcourt standouts
eligible this year.

Not that White, now 56 and a member of the Celtics' community relations and
marketing department, ever felt he was being snubbed.

"To tell the truth," White said as he signed numerous autographs before
Monday's KU-Texas game, "I never even thought about it because I never knew
the criteria."

White qualified under two new criteria -- being a two-time All-American (in
1968 and 1969) and membership on a U.S. Olympic team (1968).

White, incidentally, is still one up on Pierce, the current Celtics' standout
who was here for Saturday's KU-Arizona game. The No. 10 jersey White wore
during his nine years with the Celtics -- he was an All-Star seven times and
named the MVP of the 1976 NBA championships -- already has been retired.

Monday night, it was the No. 15 White wore during three varsity seasons with
the Jayhawks that was unfurled high in the south rafters of the venerable
fieldhouse.

White was introduced by former KU coach Ted Owens, who coached the former
Celtic from 1966-69.
"Every time I took the court, I gave you everything I had," White said. "And
in return, you cheered me on. You gave me everything you had. That
relationship I will cherish forever."
White helped lead KU to two conference championships, two NCAA Tournament
appearances and a runner-up finish in the NIT.He scored 1,286 points as a
Jayhawk and led the team in scoring in 1968, with 459 points.

"I am humbled by this recognition," White said to a standing, cheering throng
that erupted when he ended his short thank you speech by shouting, "Rock
Chalk, Jayhawk."

A touted prep in St. Louis, Mo., White had, he said, about 250 college offers
before he eventually chose KU.
    B B
"It all worked for me," he said. "I knew nothing about Kansas, but my high
school coach did. I came here and fell in love. It was the perfect school for
me."

Ted Owens, KU's head coach at the time, and top aide Sam Miranda were both on
the floor for the ceremony. Owens and Miranda both are retired -- Owens in
Tulsa, Okla., and Miranda in Lawrence. Also on hand were White's wife, mother
(90 years old) and daughter Meka, a KU student.

Already a member of both the Kansas University and State of Kansas sports
halls of fame, White nevertheless remains on the outside looking in at the
Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, located in Springfield, Mass.

White has been nominated for the prestigious Naismith shrine a couple of
times -- originally in 1995 -- but he's still waiting for the call.

"Sooner or later it will happen," White said with a grin. "I just hope I can
still see."

Link to pictures:
<A
HREF="http://www.kusports.com/multimedia/photogalleries/basketball/02-03/texa