The All-Star Team - More of an honor than you might think

Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker should be extremely proud because they were
NOT voted to the starting lineup of the Eastern Conference All-Star Team.

Why?

Because, as everyone on this list--and everywhere else NBA fans went to
stuff physical and virtual ballot boxes--knows, the starters are no more
than a popularity contest.  How else do players like Alonzo Mourning and
Vince Carter get so many votes?

But Pierce and Walker--though they got a lot of votes--were not among the
starters.

The group that voted the Celtics Dynamic Duo in was comprised of NBA Coaches.

That's right, the Coaches.  The people who run the teams that our guys play
against.  Coaches who--in some well-known cases--have every reason not to
like either or both players.  I was surprised to learn that BOTH players
got in.  I was certain that at least one of them would be left at home, and
hoping it would be Pierce--only because I think it would be far too
insulting to have Walker there for the three point competition, only to sit
out the All-Star game itself.

But the Coaches didn't give in to the pressure--too much.  I don't think
Jordan's play this season merited his selection.  I know he's BEEN one, and
he's such a great player over his career, etc., but his play over the last
season just doesn't merit it based on selection.  I figured that Vince
Carter would withdraw due to injury and that it was tacitly agreed that
Jordan would go in his place.  But at least Celtics fans can't really yell
about that situation--let's fact it, I like the Bat-Man, but did anyone
REALLY think Tony had a shot at getting in this year??

And Shaq?  Sorry, but he's been a millstone around the Laker's collective
necks.  He doesn't play like he loves the game, he's out of shape, and he's
onerous.  (Lucky for him Yao Ming isn't saddled with the temper of, say,
Rasheed Wallace.  God knows, *I'D* have told Shaq to shut up until he takes
his team over .500)  Let him PLAY (and BEHAVE) like an all-Star before he
makes the team.  By contrast, Yao plays hard, doesn't cause problems, and
is a classy guy.  He doesn't even complain that Houston is stupidly under
utilizing him.  I really like him.  He still has a lot to learn, but he
works hard, and he DOES play like an All-Star.  A YOUNG one, to be sure,
but even so.

Getting back to Walker and Pierce, the fact that they got selected by the
Coaches seems more like merit, not popularity, to me.  I may not like a lot
of them (there's not a whole lot about Byron Scott TO like, when you come
down to it...), but they did the right thing, and two deserving players
were selected to the team.

Way to go!

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle
Please visit the