Re: Insider 1/27/03

Celticsstuffgroup@yahoogroups.com, celtics@igtc.com
> Date    : Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:48:31 -0500 (EST)
> Subject : Re: Insider  1/27/03
>

> I don't see any of these trades.  OBie's game plan is
always based on
> defense, and its unlikely that any of those guys would
pick up his
> defensive schemes quickly enough to be of value for the
playoff run.  For
> all of his faults, EW is the key player in the Celtics
defensive scheme,
> and I just can't see the Cs moving him at this time.

I agree, although these guys are both veterans in the
Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk mold. Chris Wallace has been
eyeing Alvin Williams even back to when he was a generic
NBA journeyman.

The trade would be more palatable if the Celtics thought
Kedrick (with JYD) could replace Eric Williams' defensive
and scoring role. EW has had a fine season this year,
even if the stats don't jump out at you.

Boston clearly needs to add a plus rebounder who can also
defend, steal the ball, and isn't a slug.

But its more of a money issue than one of team needs in
surrounding Pierce/Walker (two championship calibre
players) with talent. Its not a matter of being cheap,
its a matter of being prudent. Boston will be up in the
upper echelon of payroll through 2007-8 under this type
of trade. If they didn't have Baker it would be a
different kind of gamble. But now the risk outweighs
almost any other consideration.

Its funny how things turned out. I don't remember a
single fan or writer this summer saying we're best off by
sticking with the roster we had, minus Rodney Rogers and
Strick. There was no other money to spend, no first round
draft pick either.

Even if Boston had gotten a productive longterm player or
two out of the Kenny trade, we STILL might have been
better off not making any trade at all. Our record might
be the same or better.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?