RE: Philly game

-----Original Message-----
From: bird [mailto:birdw@mac.com]
Sent: January 20, 2003 11:42 PM
To: Celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Philly game

Man, oh man, I do so love beating the Sixers.  Especially the day after
their NFL franchise bites it.

* And, as Snoop pointed out, after Sir Charles belittled the team during a
very important holiday for the players.

That was a great second-half to watch.  Down by 20, come back win on a
Pierce surge and an Antoine Walker three to win.  Just great.  But, to
appease the critical side of me, I'll mention that we need more than
"Give the ball to Paul Pierce" as a play in crunch minutes.  When he
comes through, it's great, but we milked it too long without
diversifying the offense.  It was when Walker again touched the ball
with the intention to score that we were bailed out.  Oh, and the
larger issue of Walkerpierce playing time, much less reliance --
Piercewalker was like 73% of our offense -- sill exists.  Without these
guys operating at this level, we don't win.

* I think we realized that shortly after the season began.  But then again,
how much of the Laker offense goes through Kobe and Shaq, or Marbury and
Marion, or Payton and ....?  In "Russell Rules" #6 says that every
championship team must have a go-to guy.  They had Sam Jones.  We have
WalkerPierce.

Then again, we really miss Tony Battie.  Who knew we could ever say
that?  But it's almost undeniably true, imo.  Baker again played well,
but didn't look really good, either.  Still, I'd be pleased if we get
this out of him consistently.  Eight rebounds is very good.  But
Battie's defensive presence to this team cannot be overemphasized.  Two
Baker plays stuck out at me; a) when he allowed Van Horn to block his
shot at the rim, and b) when he just missed blocking some Philly
player's shot (Mckie?  I forget) in the fourth (I think).  The last one
was a good effort, he didn't go for the fake and timed it well, it
seems, but the ball crept over his hand.  I just remember thinking that
Vin Baker may just have lost what spring he had in his step.  Oh, well,
like I said, he played pretty well for the second game in a row, he
deserves credit.

* It was Coleman who scored the hoop in question I think.  Baker does play
decent fundamental D.  His most glaring deficiencies have been pushing off
on rebounds and not being quick enough to play the interior D like Battie.
I say, the hell with it...just go out and be aggressive and nasty if they
are gonna call such chincy fouls anyway.

Bremer, once again, impressed.  Brown also looked active, and I'm not
looking a double-double each time out, so I'm satisfied.  Wallah hit a
big three down the stretch.  Shammond under-performed, he's obviously
in his own funk.  Nary a sign of Sundov after playing well in the last
game I saw.  And EWill, as seemingly always, did a yeoman job and had a
decent all-around stat line.  As for Grant "Long, Grey Beard" he looked
a little lost, but recovered faster on defense than I remembered.  The
refs called him for many a foul, all but the one defensive block (that,
my friends, was a charge) I thought were warranted -- this can be good
or bad in a backup big man.  For now, I prefer to keep an open mind and
go with the idea that he's at least active for a big guy.  I still
would have preferred a better shotblocker, though.  Oh, well, Grant
"Long-in-the-Tooth" it is.

* Grant Long WILL help this team.  He ain't a star but he ain't a chump
either.

I also liked Walker's not-so-subtle interference between Pierce and the
refs before, during, and after the "T".  He also seemed to go over the
the official (Sean Corbin?) and discuss it after.  And I really enjoyed
the finger-to-the-lips at the end.  Yes.  Yes, I did.  Because the guys
who deserve the last word tonight are Antoine Walker, Paul Pierce and
the Celtics.

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin... .

None from me Birdman...maybe you will get some from the charter members of
the "trade Toine" and "Pierce sucks" clubs.

Cecil (patience is a virtue Mr. Barkley)