Re: JP Morgan Trust Bank letter

Well you shouldn't ignore it. Not an owner so I didn't get one, but my strong and moderately expert guess is that it's to confirm income tax reporting info in anticipation of liquidating the LP with the sale (I'm assuming that you did one long ago for payouts from the LP itself and have been receiving 1099 forms each year). That's definitely what a W-9 is for, and I'm guessing about why now. It's because of IRS regulations - you want to complete the W-9 and return it or they will deduct at a special maximum possible rate from your payout automatically, whether or not that's appropriate for you. There should also be a number to call them with any other questions included in what you received. Trust me, you're not the only one wondering what it's about.

Kim