Re: Tape of Celtics/Bucks game--PLEASE????

At 12:25 AM 1/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:
I'm really annoyed that my third-rate cable provider chose not to show this
game (and God Help them on Monday when I talk to them--because they'll NEED
help.)
I didn't think to tape it, but don't they usually show it again the next day or so?
Anyway, I really feel for all you guys who didn't get to watch the game. It's super annoying. I hate to miss a game - I once climbed on the roof of my house at night, in a hellacious icestorm, to install a dish so that I could watch a Celtics game later that night (as it turned out, they got pasted by the Sixers that time).

And this was a helluva game to miss. Bremer, Baker, and Kedrick all playing well in the same game. Walker continuing his hot shooting. The Celtics, despite missing two starters and a struggling Paul Pierce, running up a lead on the team which seems to always blow them out in that building, then holding the Bucks off thanks to herculean efforts by new heroes (Kedrick, Bremer) and old standbys (EWIll, Waltuh) alike. Pierce, missing a ton of shots, yet nailing a crucial J down the stretch. Baker going 5-5 in the 1st half and adding 3 blocks. Like Greg Dickerson (whom I liked as a color commentator, btw) said, could we move the Bradley Center to Boston, to permanently revitalize Baker's game?

A week ago, the Celtics seemed to be running on fumes and out of options. Walker and Pierce looked tired, Battie was chronically injured, Baker was crying, Shammond was struggling (at least one thing hasn't changed), and the bench was useless. Then we suddenly find a serviceable point guard in JR Bremer, come close to defeating 2 of the 3 Texas teams, and run off three solid wins, two of them against traditionally tough opponents, while discovering that Kedrick can play a little.

The best thing about this game is of course Kedrick's emergence. He showed exactly what he could be, without extrapolating his current abilities too much. He can play a decent-enough D and be very effective, because the player he's guarding is painfully aware that Kedrick is always capable of recovering on a play and blocking or challenging his shot thanks to KB's amazing athleticism. It seemed to me that Kedrick's mere presence in front of a player was enough to alter his normal shooting routine. And Kedrick can just sky for rebounds, even when he doesn't have a good rebounding position. His shooting is still shaky, but he can score 8-10 points a game running the wings and on moves around the basket, both of which he showed last night. He also showed good court awareness, throwing a nice pass right over the retreating defense on a fast break. There were also some pesky steals and "Tommy points" for stepping in front of a player for a charge, and digging out a ball that seemed irretrievably headed out of bounds. I have to say Delk's injury and Pierce's struggles have been a blessing in disguise.

Another feel-good story is Bremer. I think he's for real. Despite not shooting well, he finds a way to contribute passing the ball, playing tough D, rebounding, and sharing ball-handling responsibilities with Toine. He also commits very few turnovers and has hit a clutch 3 in the last 2 games. How many of those of you who could watch the game last night thought (or screamed) to yourself, as I did, "put Bremer back in!", when Sam Cassell was abusing Shammond in the 4th and Obie called a timeout to stop the Bucks' run?

As for Vinnie, while his performance and body language were encouraging signs, I'd have to see more to believe he's returning to his old form. The conditions definitely were right for him last night. We'll see if that transfers to other venues against other teams.

Walker has played two straight smart games. It's not a coincidence that he's shooting over 50% in those games. I've come to appeciate McCarty more and more this season. I hate to give the BDT any credit anymore, but it was a good signing, even though Obie was probably the impetus behind it. EWill was his old usual self, doing all the little things that a team needs to win. He got some tough, tough rebounds in the crunchtime.

Wow, this has gotten long, I better stop now.
Kestas