Breaking up is hard to do

I caught part of the Cs/Mavs the other night.  The thing is, they had
positioned themselves to have a future intil the botched draft of a couple
years ago, followed by the horrible trades.  Now, they're mediocre with no
end in sight.  By the time the noose of Baker's contract is off their necks
Walker and Pierce will be beyond their primes (or certainly at the tail end
of it).  Then again, are you really crazy about their games anyway.  I still
say, on a more normally configured team, Pierce is far the superior player.
On this team, Walker seems just as valuable, excepting the fourth quarter, of
course.

Given that no hope view, I think they ought to blow this team up and start
over.  After all, is the goal to win a championship, or make the playoffs.  I
think *just* making the playoffs is for the Milwaukee's and Atlanta's of the
world.  To blow this team up necessarily means a couple of years of hard
times while getting young, potentially great talent, and repositioning
ourselves to make a splash on the free agent front.  If we traded one or both
of Walker/Pierce for young stars and/or draft picks, part and parcel of that
would be getting rid of Wallace/Papile/Obie.  We'd need to bring in people
with a better track record of talent evaluation and talent development.  And
a coach who will employ other than the gimmick offense that he learned at the
hands of the little Rictator.

I don't remember who first said the maligned phrase 'we're championship
driven', but I hope the new owners share that feeling.  And the only way to
achieve that goal is with talent.  The moves of the last couple of seasons
have set us back at least half a decade in that quest.

I for one, think they ought to blow this thing up at the end of this season,
because as presently constituted, they have no hope of bringing a cha
mpionship to Boston.

As always, this opinion is worth what you paid for it.