Re: [Celtics' Stuff Game Ball

On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 11:47  PM, hironaka@nomade.fr wrote:

> Sometimes I think Obie is overdoing the blackball tactics
> on Vin just to get Chris Wall-Ass and Leo Pap-smear fired
> for reckless incompetence. If that's the case, I hope
> management gets the hint and preferably sides with Obie
> on this issue, all things considered.
>
> Joe H.
> 		*******************
	What else is there to think? That Baker just sucks, or that O'Brien
thinks he dogs it? The parts of recent games I've seen, Baker made a
few tough defensive plays, to show signs he could be helpful. Unless
O'Brien reverses himself, quickly (Baker reportedly played very well in
last years playoffs against Tim Duncan) and plays Vin, decent minutes
at San Antonio, we may have lost all chance that Baker could contribute
to this team; EVER. Remember, this is a player with a history of low
self esteem.
	All of the talk about Wallace and Papile blowing the draft and trading
the future for Baker, has to be getting under the skin of ownership.
Look at it this way: even if, we kept Anderson, this season and were
(possibly)1 million dollars more, over the tax threshold, for this one
year only; by signing Baker, we'll pay 12 million over each of the next
four years, instead of being able to use a 5 million dollar exception,
to get a pretty decent player, with a savings of  7 million each year.
Was a one year savings of the tax worth that? Who will be the next Keon
Clark? Anyone with foresight, should have been able to see that there
will be a plethora of such players, at least as good as Baker,
available each summer.  	Imagine if we had that 5 million (there's also
a 2.5 million alternate year exception, we could use and still be five
million to the good)to spend next summer?  We'd have some hope, for
something other than two late round rookies and two more minimum
wagers, while probably losing Shammond Williams. I also contend that
Joe Forte will be every bit the player that Shammond Williams is, at
the same stage in his career, which brings us back to O'Brien.
	With all of the above, noted shortcomings, of Wallace, is O'Brien
really not as much to blame? Who brought in the post guru, Gallagher?
Don't you think  that Jimmy wanted a post player, like Baker, to
develop that part of the game?
	Who auditioned Bremer and within the space of two summer league games
anointed him as the free agent point guard? Who did the same with
Sundov and Wolkowyski, as the choices for the front court? Wallace
brought in a slew of  players for Jimmy to look at and the coach made
those choices. When Wolkowyski was signed, Jimmy was quoted as saying
that he didn't want bangers, he wanted  big men who could run and pass.
Instead of having S. Williams, K. Brown and W. McCarty as our 10-12
players, as they should be, they are our 7-9. This is the major problem
with this year's team.
	Not only did Chris Wallace draft and trade badly, but the other
botched talent evaluations have to fall on O'Brien's shoulders for
insisting on acquiring players to fit a system that isn't working. This
could be as damaging as the Baker contract, as who (perhaps aside from
Bird) will ever be able to break Walker and  Pierce, of their
envisioned entitlement, to control the offense. One or the other of
them may have to be traded to head  this team in the direction of
another championship and either way. IMHO, it's going to take five
years to get back to where we were at the end of last season.
	No, I think the move is to clean house, if this  team doesn't turn
around. O'Brien has made his contribution by bringing in Harter and
getting  the team to learn and play some defense; I believe this is as
far as he can take them.
	Compare the recent demise of Philadelphia, the inability of Air Carter
in Toronto at the end of last season, the struggles in Orlando and the
recent fall of the Celtics and compare those teams, who rely on their
scorers to control the offense, with the Nets, Pistons, Suns,Kings,
Mavericks and Pacers and you might see a trend. Teams with point guards
and motion are winning. Teams with ball hogs/ great one on one players,
are losing.
	Perhaps it's the new defensive rules which have caused this change in
the basic fabric of the NBA. Wouldn't that be ironic? The same
defensive changes that brought O'Brien to glory, may become his
downfall. It's a shame he only understands one side of the equation.
	I've never wished for a team  to lose, but if a real free fall gets
the team in dissension; the new owners might decide, only a Larry Bird
has the cachet to come in and fix the mess and he sees a lottery pick
and another decent pick from Philly on the table, with a commitment
from an exasperated  ownership, desperate to make the playoffs and
shore up a frustrated fan base and  accepts an offer, I believe that
would be the best chance that this team can overcome; the anchor of
Vin Baker around their financial necks and the debilitating,
psychological texture, of a team that allows it's scorers to control
the offense.

		JB

	Unchain My Heart !
**

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/tiff which had a name of image.tiff]
Dallas spot starter Adrian Griffin established the tone
in a tight game with his seven offensive boards, mostly
in the first half. It could have gone either way until he
stepped up, with Battie setting a similar tone on the
other end. Some of those offensive boards were so "Yo
Adrian" old school it put a big smile on my face, to the
degree that it was all about his timing and a sixth senth
about where to be when.

Dallas makes the rain pour once momentum is in their
favor. They will choke under intense pressure, I'm
convinced, but Boston was unable to lay wood on them.

Boston's unwillingness to add depth by signing at minimum
wage a born-to-be-a-Boston-Celtic type player like Adrian
underscores the competitive disadvantage we face against
the Mark Cubans of the world.

It also highlights what a this line separates success and
fireable incompetence. Few of us would bash the overall
Celtics 2001 draft had we not blown the 21st pick on a
freaking third shooting guard, thus ending Griffin's
tenure as a Celtic, among other things. Number 21 was the
actual "sweet spot" of the draft, stacked with proven
college prospects downgraded by the teen fetish.

That's how muddled the whole draft blame game becomes.
Forte was Red Auerbach's pick, of course. But Wallace
gets the blame and probably ought to accept it.

A lot of us talked up Gilbert Arenas, who BTW is putting
up frankly unique numbers across the NBA in terms of
rebounds+assists already. He is incredibly young for a
second year player, and he can also score the ball.
Others really liked Tony Parker and Jamaal Tinsley, with
reason. I'm not convinced the latter two would have seen
as many minutes in Obie's system (they are 10 second ball
hogs who can't shoot to save Wyc's wife's life), but
either could have impacted our feelings about the
Celtics' draft.

As a matter of principal, I wanted Boston to win at least
one quarter, and I'm glad we held Dallas to 11 points in
the fourth quarter, in what otherwise could easily have
been a repeat of the Sac-NJ game last night or worse.

Perhaps coincidentally, the defensive stand began with
Kedrick finally entering the game. I hope Obie gets the
hint...play your best ball defenders with the captains.
Let's try to play defense to remember for the rest of
this Texas trip. If you have confidence in your defense,
everything else will fall into place.

All I ask as a fan is that no team beats the Celtics on
hustle or focus the rest of the way, win or lose. Talent,
whatever, but let hustle and no quit be our defining
attribute the rest of the way..

Obie is not the greatest game coach, in terms of timing
time outs and the impact he can coax out of the huddle.

As for Vin Baker, I hope they have it squared away
privately, since the DNP-CD was a nationally
televised "dis".