Dallas Morning News

Reading stuff like this makes me wonder how George Karl
landed the job coaching Team USA. But of course he found
a convenient scapegoat in Paul Pierce. I'm sure we'll do
better next time.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/mmcallister/st
ories/010503dnspomcallister.16075.html

Zone throws some coaches for a loop
01/05/2003

George Karl starts rattling off a few of the offenses he
can run against a man-to-man defense. The 1-4. Box. Flex.
Hawk. Triangle. Princeton. Pick-and-rolls "all over the
court."

In other words, the Milwaukee coach can choose from a
lengthy list  as many as 100, he says. That allows him
to create just about any matchup he wants. And in the
NBA, matchups are the runways to successful offensive
flights.

But then the topic shifts to offenses used against the
zone defense  and Karl basically draws a blank. He has
won nearly 700 NBA games, is the league's highest-paid
coach at more than $7 million per season, is a former
(albeit unsuccessful) U.S. national team coach, and has
been part of the professional basketball landscape for
nearly 30 years.

And he's not sure how to attack a zone defense.

"Against a zone," Karl says, basically shrugging his
shoulders, "I don't know where the shots are going to
come from."

For a coach in any sport, nothing is scarier or more
frustrating than lack of control. Just ask some of Bill
Parcells' predecessors at Valley Ranch. A coach without
control is a coach who can't dictate his own success or
failure.

Perhaps that's why some coaches in the NBA fear the
increased use of zone concepts that were allowed into the
league last season and that the Mavericks have used so
successfully this season.

It's not so much zone defenses that make them nervous.
It's having to run zone offenses. The number of plays is
reduced. So is the control.

When one team plays a zone defense, the opposing coach
basically is left standing on the sideline and hoping his
players can find an open shot.

"Offensively, I cannot tell my team where I want them to
go when you zone me," Karl says. "They've got to play
together, play as a team and find their shot."

But Mavericks assistant coach Del Harris, who wrote the
book on zone offenses in 1975, insists that the increased
use of zone in the NBA does not detract from a coach's
ability to influence a game.

"It doesn't take the coach out of the game; it actually
puts the coach more into the game," Harris says, "because
he has more tools to work with on defense. It's then up
to the coach to be able to get his players to the point
where they understand how a zone defense works and
therefore how a zone offense has to work."

Harris does acknowledge that zone offenses are less about
drawing plays and more about drawing up concepts. He also
predicts that as NBA players become more experienced at
attacking a zone, they'll also become more successful at
it.

Even so, zone offenses are not easy to learn  or teach.
Harris understands his good friend Karl's frustration.
Heck, Harris himself even has to constantly relearn the
intricacies of the zone offense  and yes, that does
include re-reading his own book Coaching Basketball: Zone
Offense.

"The last bastion of basketball strategy, even as the
game has progressed, has been zone offenses," Harris
says. "There have been more coaches who lack the
understanding of the zone game than any other aspect of
the game itself.

"But it's all learnable. It's not nuclear physics."

Wonder if George Karl would agree.

Archives: More information on this or other topics from
The Dallas Morning News.
Subscribe to The Dallas Morning News.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?