Fatigue - Mental or Physical?

< O'Brien held out Pierce, Walker, Tony Battie, and Eric Williams
from practice before the team's 6 p.m. charter flight to New Orleans
yesterday. O'Brien said he gave Pierce and Walker time to recuperate
from Monday night, and that Battie (right) and Williams (left) were
resting sore knees. > - Vega, Boston Globe, 1/8/03

This is getting to be a habit. Yet another practice not participated in
by several of our starters.  Not that practices are important to this
team.  No matter how many pre-game practices and O's  & X's strategy
sessions we have, come game time we are still restricted to the
HARTER D AND THE ONGOING 3. These two tenets remain  written-in-
stone despite the opponent or the particular circumstances presented
within each game.

I do not blame our players for our recent losses, but acknowledge
that they may need mega doses of anti-depressants to get them
through this season of their discontent.  And so might us fans.

We can only wonder why Pierce has such tired legs after playing
in nine (?) FIBA world games this summer when so many of his FIBA
teammates do not look near as worn and spent.

We can only wonder why AW's stats are so down across the board,
and why he looks just as exhausted as Pierce when he wasn't even
included in the FIBA world games.

We can only wonder why with Battie's cranky knee Obie stubbornly
played him 32 minutes (six mpg above his season average) against
the Wiz while entrusting Baker with only 16 minutes? Could it be
that Obie cares less about Baker's potential offensive contributions
(which he has shown no intention of utilizing) than Walter's better
grasp of the Harter D?

We can only wonder how the Celt's answer to bon vivant Whitey
Bulger, i.e. our own Leo Papile, worded his scouting report on Baker.
Does the Freedom of Information Act not apply to Celtic documents?
This team has lost their edge ... i.e. the killer instinct.  But what
players wouldn't have if confronted with all the BS that has
taken place this season.  Our core players have seen their team
fall from a promising to a depressing future in one swift
horrendous trade.

And please - I am tired of hearing that Gaston dictated the Baker
trade to save $1 mill in team salary.  This was Wallace's glory
trip  "coup "  all the way.  Had we held on to Kenny only as long as
till today (40% of the season) at his $9 mill salary prior to trading
him, we would have been better off financially than paying Baker
his full $12 mill salary for 100% of the season.  Jessen says Baker
will pay for his salary in dividends come the playoffs.  Let's see -
0-3 and out comes to $4 mill per playoff game... with three more
seasons to go.

You know what- this post makes little sense because the Baker
trade is so outrageously overpowering and destructive to our
future that it really doesn't matter whether PP and AW's
exhaustion is physical or mental.  I only know which mine is.

Egg

-------------------------------------------B
Road work ahead
Signs are cautionary as Celtics begin trip
By Michael Vega, Globe Staff, 1/8/2003

WALTHAM - After Monday night's tough 100-95 loss to the Washington
Wizards, the Celtics face a grueling four-game road trip that begins
at 9 tonight in New Orleans against the Hornets.

''Like I said after the game,'' said Paul Pierce, who had 30 points in
Boston's squandered opportunity against the Wizards, ''it's a tough
loss before going on one of our toughest road trips of the year. But,
hey, we're just going to have to get it done the hard way: on the road
against some quality teams.''

Since mid-December the Celtics have had numerous opportunities to
beef up their record, which stood nine games above .500 after a 113-90
spanking of the Knicks in New York Dec. 14. But losses against opponents
with inferior records -such as Monday night's - have left the Celtics
dreading this trip, which also includes a perilous Texas trek to Dallas,
San Antonio, and Houston.

''It's a difficult matchup down there in the new building where they
play,'' Celtics coach Jim O'Brien said of facing the Hornets. ''They
started the year 11-0 at home and they're extremely deep and talented,
and the only time they seem to lose with any regularity is when Baron
Davis is banged up.
{Egg: Let us hope he doesnbt play tonight}

''But we have to worry about their strength on the boards because they
are so big and tough. Davis and David Wesley are really a great backcourt,
and Jamal Mashburn has had an All-Star-type of year.''

As for the rest of the trip?

''Dallas, their record and what Don Nelson has done with them, is
well-documented. They're playing as well as anyone in the league,''
O'Brien said. ''Dallas and Houston are really utilizing their extremely
big centers by playing a lot of zone. My hope would be that we could
get quality perimeter shots, because when they're in a zone, you're
not shooting over Shawn Bradley and you're not shooting over Yao Ming.
But you still have to drive the ball into the paint to try and go inside-
outside against their zone.

''Houston not only has a new weapon in Yao Ming but they have some of
the best one-on-one players in the league, [Steve] Francis and Cuttino
Mobley.

''And San Antonio is a legitimate contender for the crown. They've had
their ups and downs, but any time you have Tim Duncan in the middle
with [David] Robinson ...

''They're going to be four very, very good basketball teams. We understand
that we have our work cut out for us, but we also understand that we
can only play one opponent at a time.''

If the Celtics salvage a split, they would remain five games above .500.
They already have faced two of the teams on this trip, dropping a 97-86
decision to Dallas at the FleetCenter Nov. 15 and scoring a 95-86 home
victory over the Hornets Dec. 1.

Boston will get its first look at San Antonio, which trails front-running
Dallas by 71/2 games in the Midwest Division, and Houston, with its
highly touted rookie center Yao, who no doubt will present a huge
matchup problem.

''We've just got to go out and get a win right now and stay in the thick
of this race, stay in the heat of this division,'' said Antoine Walker.
''We made it hard on ourselves. We had an opportunity from mid-December
up to this point to put together a really decent record and we didn't
take advantage of it.

''Now our backs are against the wall a little bit, schedule-wise. We're
still five games over .500 and we've got to look at the positives vs.
the negatives. We're still right there in the thick of things. We just
have to find our stride where we play consistent basketball, but
we're not there yet.''

The Celtics showed some flashes in a fourth-quarter surge against
Washington that gave them an 89-82 lead with 6:48 to go. But
questionable shot selection - including a penchant for hoisting
3-pointers at critical times - led the Celtics to stumble in the end
from what Pierce described as ''a lack of aggression,'' especially in
getting to the foul line, where the Wizards took 41 free throws to
16 for Boston.

''It just has to do with rotating the ball and driving the seam,''
Pierce said. ''I think we settle at times for - they're not bad shots -
but there are times when I think we can get better. I think guys could
mix it up a little more, getting to the paint for easy buckets, because
we're relying on jump shots and that's why we're not getting to the
line.''  Those will be but a few of the challenges the Celtics will face
on this trip.

''Since I've been here, we've never really backed down from any kind
of challenges,'' Pierce said. ''We're fighting to get a win, we're going
on a tough road trip, and I think this is where we turn it around.''

O'Brien held out Pierce, Walker, Tony Battie, and Eric Williams from
practice before the team's 6 p.m. charter flight to New Orleans
yesterday. O'Brien said he gave Pierce and Walker time to recuperate
from Monday night, and that Battie (right) and Williams (left) were
resting sore knees. ''Eric twisted his knee in the second quarter,''
said O'Brien. ''He stubbed his toe on the court and twisted it.'' Battie
needed to rest his knee after logging 32 minutes against the Wizards.
''The challenge of our medical staff is that ideally we would like to
have Tony play all the games and always practice,'' O'Brien said.
''But whether we are going to get that from his knee remains to be
seen. But we will take what we can get.'' ... Newcomer Mikki Moore
said he hoped to get some playing time on this trip. ''Right now,
it's been hectic,'' Moore said. ''I've got to take a crash course on the
defensive schemes.'' Asked how he planned to integrate the 7-footer
into the lineup, O'Brien said, ''It's very, very difficult for someone
like Mikki Moore to come in here on a 10-day contract, and I have
to evaluate him in practice during a time when we're not practicing
that long. Then I have to weigh whether or not I can get him on the
court in game situations. We just want to be ready. If Tony can't
play a game or practice, we'll at least have some size for the
short term.''