Bird/Walker

Larry Bird was the model for teaching my son about the game.  What amazed me was Bird's ability to make three or four plays in a row and change the game completely.  A steal, an assist, a bucket or two and all of a sudden, it was a W.

What galls me about Antoine is his ability to do just the opposite.  While he is a great multi-dimensional player and a major factor in our victories, he still can very quickly take us out of a win or make a comfortable lead vanish by turnovers, ill-advised shots, ball-hogging, you name it.  Like others on the list, I like him and wish he could accept his limitations and lead the team, but I doubt it will happen.  I used to think we would be ok when Antoine became our third scorer; now I don't expect us to take the next step with him at all.  Sure, the victories are great but few of us expect this current direction to bring us to the top, even in the East.

These last few off-seasons have been crucial and we've failed the test each time; whether it's drafting or trading, we have failed to use our personnel well at all.  (Thank God for Walter.)  If we draft well this summer--or trade them for quality veterans--we're still a two man team til trade or retirement do us part.

Cheers, Gene