Donnell Harvey & leaving early for the NBA

>I know some on the list are hoping the Blount deal brings Donnell Harvey
>with it. I remember he was pretty impressive during Florida's run to the
>national title game when he was a freshman, but he's one of those undersized
>power forwards with absolutely no chance of playing small forward (no ball
>skills). Anyway, this story from a couple of days ago discusses Harvey's
>continuing struggles.-Mark

Mark,

Being from Gainesville I'm got to see Harvey's play alot during that
national title game run and season.  And I agree with the story that
Harvey is the poster-child for what leaving school early will do to a
player's career (along with Kwame Brown -- who also signed to come to
U of Florida -- but who went straight to the NBA).

I remember thinking during his 1 season at UF, that by his Junior
season -- with Billy Donovan & the UF staff teaching him -- Harvey
would be an all-american, lottery selection, and the greatest player
in UF history.  You could see that he had the raw talent, but that it
was just that -- raw.  He needed someone to coach him on how to get
position on the blocks, how to use his strength to minimize his lack
of height for a PF, how to play strong D.

But then he declared -- somewhat unexpectedly -- for the draft and
got picked by the Knicks, was shipped to the Mavs, where he never
played.  So for 2 years he was basically a scrub in the NBA.  I'm
sure that he got some teaching, but everyone says the NBA practices
aren't about teaching fundamentals, they are about preparing for the
next opponent (Which is why I'd like to see the NBA create a real
minor-league system -- but that's a post for another time).

Imagine if for those 2 years he was learning everyday, going through
the pressure of the NCAA tournament (never mind what it might have
meant for UF's chances those 2 years!).  I guess its that promise
that I saw at UF -- as well as the spike in his production this year
-- that keeps me hoping the C's will get him before he busts out --
you know buy low, sell high.  And by bust out I guess I hope at this
point he'll become a Dale Davis/Horace Grant/Charles Oakley type, not
a star, but a very good pro.

I argue this with my friend here in town all the time.  And while we
agree that it has hurt his game to have left early, he brings up a
good point which is always left out of articles like this.  Harvey
grew up (by accounts in the Gainesville papers) pretty poor.  I think
he saw the potential to be picked in the 1st round and jumped at the
3-4 year guaranteed $2-3 million contract.

You could argue -- "well those 2 years and your development during
that time would mean millions more".  But my guess is that for a kid
like Harvey, who saw his family have to struggle and live without,
the chance to tell his Mom and family they don't ever have to worry
about money again is too great a chance to wait 2 years for (I think
I remember -- but am too lazy right now to go back and look -- that
he has a little sister who might have been sick or something.)  When
you grow up with very little, the difference between $3 and 30
million is meaningless.  (actually come to think of it, I think that
for just about anyone the practical difference between $3 and
30million is or should be meaningless -- i think its sad that some
people can have $30 million and there be families like Harvey's
(pre-NBA) struggling to make ends meet -- but thats a subject for yet
another post.)

just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

-- mark piotrowski
gainesville, fl