Re: Hello, old friend (and some Celtics thoughts)

>If there were a quantifiable measure with which to
>calculate "Most Valuable Player," Paul Pierce might jump
>near the head of the class above some GREAT players
>(Kobe, Garnett).>>
>
>On this West Coast trip, I would estimate that the
>Celtics have been outscored by up around 50 points in the
>few dozen minutes that he has sat. That might even be a
low estimate given the two 20 point leads we've blown.
>>From:Joe Hironaka

 Well, I don't know about MVP of the league, but I don't think right now
there is any question he is the MVP of this team.
Forget the fact he leads the team in points, rebounds, assists and steals.
It's more than that. To me this also goes directly to the argument that he
doesn't make his teammates better.
Obviously he does.
When he is out of the game, McCarty and Eric Williams aren't getting wide
open shots. Battie isn't getting easy dunks.  Antoine is much more likely to
be double teamed. He also doesn't get those easy lay-ups under the basket on
that backscreen play, like he did twice last night in the first half, because
the defenders aren't as worried about Delk popping out for the ball as they
are Pierce.
And the opponents point guards are free to give all their attention to
Bremer, Williams or Delk.
The team just seems to play with so much more confidence when he is on the
floor, even when he isn't shooting well.