Vescey had the truth first

I guess Vecsey beat the Celtic beatwriters to the punch on the truth on the
Blount deal: from Sunday's post

DJessen33

TRUTH, TRADEWINDS AND BLOWHARDS

By PETER VECSEY

> ODD COUPLE: With NBA trading deadline set for Thursday, nobody's untouchable
in Philadelphia, where Larry Brown and Allen Iverson could be headed for
divorce.N.Y. Post: Charles Wenzelberg

February 16, 2003 -- WITH the NBA's Trade Show scheduled to close Thursday at
6 p.m. (EST), we wish to apologize to counterfeit columnists, dot-com dopes
and imitation TV analysts everywhere if we haven't provided enough scoops du
jour to fill your space or airwaves as your own disclosure. We're deeply
ashamed for not doing all your homework 'cause we see what happens when you
don't use us as your only resource. For instance, the alleged Ron Artest
fight in Atlanta during the All-Star break, in which ESPN.com cited "several
sources" in its artificial article. The reality is, several sources cannot be
wrong regarding such a serious incident, they can only be right. In other
words, the anonymous author, who slithers in the muck of the Internet
infestation devoid of accountability (much like those who hired him), either
completely fabricated the story, or relied on one slime bucket whose
credibility was never battle tested. It's scary how much junk NBA news is
irresponsibly being churned out every day (correspondents from ESPN and TNT
flat out concocted a tale about everybody's favorite target, Isiah Thomas,
during the All-Star Game and have yet to issue an apology) with minus zero
basis of truth. It's scary because, if suspected journalists are certified
fountains of misinformation or regurgitating what they've glanced at or
overheard without checking the facts, how much should we honestly believe
when reading accounts and descriptions about Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya,
North Korea, our country's security system, etc. Some of us have a hard time
forgetting how many lies we were told regarding Vietnam. No wonder the public
is so mistrustful of the media. How can anybody be expected to have any clue
what's real in the field unless a particular subject is their specialty? Not
that any of this bothers me, I just thought I'd mention it in passing. *
Meanwhile, despite the fixation by 26 teams (Portland, New York and Dallas
are exempt) on the impending luxury tax, the salary cap and their
far-reaching financial implications, there is all sorts of trade talk going
on behind the screens. Though it's doubtful the majority of proposals will
culminate in deals, it's not from lack of trying. Sixers: If any team will
pull the trigger, it's them. As one West Coast GM says, "Larry Brown is the
Cat On The Hot Tin Roof." When his teams are winning big, he makes changes.
Imagine how many changes he's attempting to make with his team only three
games over .500. Nobody is untouchable. Not Allen Iverson. Not Eric Snow.
Definitely not Keith Van Horn and Derrick Coleman. For some strange reason,
the Warriors seem agreeable to give up Adonal Foyle, a defensive center who
doesn't take shots away from the team's many gunners. If I'm them, I'd trade
Erick Dampier (Pacers want him) instead. Grizzlies: Those with a need to know
tell me Jerry West desperately wants Mike Dunleavy, offering the Warriors'
Drew Gooden in exchange. Counterpart Garry St. Jean doesn't appear tempted.
However, should West agree to relieve Golden State of Danny Fortson or
another cement contract (Bob Sura or Chris Mills), it could get done. The
yarn spun about the Knicks thinking they have a chance to acquire Pau Gasol
is neither logical nor lyrical. You must have a franchise player in order to
swap him for one. Clearly, if you want to create such scenarios from nothing,
you can't own a conscience or sanity. Clippers: Unlike every other opponent
who's unwilling to acquire contracts longer than ones they're prepared to
give up, L.A. would take on players on long-term commitments. That's because
half of Donald Sterling's team is an unrestricted or restricted free agent;
re-signing them may prove prohibitive, whereas any acquired player will come
equipped with an exact pay scale. With that in mind, sources tell me the
Clips might entertain overtures from the Jazz for Elton Brand. No offer has
been made yet, but there's no question Utah is acutely interested in the
slightly undersized power forward. The question is, would Brand be interested
in re-upping with the Jazz this summer? If the answer is yes, a proposition
of Matt Harpring and a No. 1 pick (about 150G shy of meeting salary/trade
requirements) is imminent. Nets: Word has it Rod Thorn is pushing hard to
obtain either Tyrone Hill or Sura. The word has misspoken. Don't be surprised
to see Hill wind up with the Lakers or the Magic. Should the Cavaliers be
unable to move their outcast, whose $6.6 million expires at season's end,
look for them to cut him when he's ineligible for the playoffs. If the Lakers
can't get Hill or someone like him from somebody else's roster, look for them
to sign Horace Grant. Nuggets: How legit would a trade deadline be if Kiki
Vandeweghe weren't entrenched in discussions? At one point, it seemed as if
the Celtics might swap Shammond Williams to Denver for Mark Blount and
another fringe player, but talk stalled when the Nuggets GM insisted Boston
throw in one of its two (it owns Philly's this June, lottery protected)
first-round picks.