> From    : owner-celtics@igtc.com
> To      : Celtics@igtc.com
> Cc      :
> Date    : Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:42:20 EST
> Subject : The Debacle
>
> >  -Over 16+ minutes combined, Boston was held to all
of 2
> > points of offense while giving up 57 points.
>

> This is mind boggling.  Can that be right?  I wonder if
that level of
> ineptness has EVER been exhibited before in an NBA game.

I should clarify that. I was referring to three different
and distinct stretches during the Detroit game mentioned
earlier in the post, which in total combined for over 16
minutes. The worst of it was that 34-2 run in the second
half, just after Kedrick hit his one and only 3-point
shot.

It was kind of a rough math, probably give or take a few
seconds, which I got from the printable play-by-play
summaries linked to game summaries and boxscores at
NBA.COM.

In any case, the last week's results made me fear that
when it comes to the Celtics, no 10-point lead is safe.
We twice got off to good first quarter starts on offense
only to allow these 18-1 type blitzes through breakdowns
and shoddy defense.

That's why last night's results were so satisfying.
Boston never gave up many points in a row without
responding.

In general, I think the Celtics have generally played six
straight quarters of good defense, even if it isn't
reflected in the boxscore.

After the first half against New Orleans, I truly feared
that other teams were catching on to how to exploit the
holes in the Obie-Harter system, especially the second
time around against us. Things seemed very ominous, as
far as our playoff series aspirations.

But in fact, it thankfully seems to be more a case of the
Celtics being way out of synch and half-ass. Its obvious
in a night and day way.

When the Celtics play the system right, our defenders
have a perfectly adequate answer even to ball movement to
the weakside (supposedly the biggest hole in the defense).

You can't just swing it around the horn against that
level of defense, when the Celtics are swarming and
buzzing around. You are forced to lob it up over to the
far corner or up over Battie's arm directly into the
post. Either way there is a chance at a deflection.

For a minute they had me really scared, but now I have a
bit more of a restored faith in the basic integrity of
the defensive system. It wasn't ball movement that killed
us in the first half versus New Orleans, or in the
Detroit and Indy games. We just didn't stick to the plan,
and a few guys were gimpy (notably Delk and Battie, maybe
Walker) or possibly mailing it in (Shammond?). We can't
let a hot shooter like Wesley or Mashburn such away our
overall defensive intensity like that. Whatever the
excuses, that first half defensive performance was
pathetic. I hope we never see anything like last week
again this season.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?