From: tone81@charter.net [mailto:tone81@charter.net]
Sent: February 05, 2003 4:20 PM
To: celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Herald: Barkley zings Pierce, Walker

Not much to argue with here.
Make sure to read all the way to the end for Magic's
all-time greatest and Barkley's all-time all-stars.

Tone

Barkley zings Pierce, Walker

by Jim Baker
Wednesday, February 5, 2003

Charles Barkley, warming up for TNT's 12-hour NBA All-Star
weekend package, yesterday criticized Celtic All-Stars
Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker in saying ``it's
unfathomable to me that any NBA team could trail in a game
by 60 points.

Somebody's Got To Say It
Covering Beacon Hill to Capitol Hill, the Herald’s
tradition of fearless news coverage consistently gives
readers the story behind the story.
Subscribe Online Now

``Pierce and Walker are really good, but they still take
too many 3-point shots . . . and that leads to peaks and
valleys no matter how great you are,'' said Barkley, who
called it an additional shock that the C's could ``trail
by 60 at home'' in last Friday's 118-66 rout by Detroit.

``I played on some dog teams, but I never heard of an NBA
team being own by 60. Of course I was surprised . . . But
it was a big mistake trading Kenny Anderson. You get no
easy baskets. And if you live by 3's, you die by 3's.''

Magic Johnson interjected that when a team shoots up to 25
percent of its attempts from 3-point range ``it's no good
and as an (opposing) team member, that makes you know what
they're going to do.''

Fox Sports New England has the Seattle-C's game at 7
tonight with ex-Celtic and Boston College guard Dana
Barros a postgame guest. Tom Heinsohn will return as
analyst, sending Cedric Maxwell back to WWZN radio.

Magic and Barkley underscored the special appeal of
Michael Jordan's final All-Star Game Sunday, the first on
cable and in prime-time.

``Michael is the greatest NBA player (ever) and Bill
Russell is the greatest winner,'' said Johnson. Barkley
said his all-time all-NBA team is Jackson, Magic, Russell,
Oscar Robertson and Kevin McHale (``he's the best forward
I played against'').