Re: OT - Chris Wallace sighting

Tammo wrote:

I saw Chris Wallace at the game last night.
  No....not the Celtics game.  The Kansas-Missouri game.
  That makes three games in Lawrence for Wallace that I know of this
season.... Arizona, Texas, and Missouri.
  That begs the question just who has Wallace been watching?

--- --- ---

Tammo, you obviously like Hinrich. I've seen him play several times and was
never really impressed, but I've learned my lesson. I felt the same way
about Tinsley, but someone on the list-Cecil or Gene?-was completely sold
and kept saying you have to watch Tinsley play to appreciate him. They were
right, of course. So I'll trust your judgment on Hinrich.

You're probably right that Hinrich was one of the guys-maybe THE guy-Wallace
was watching. And seeing him against Texas was a good chance to see two of
the top PG prospects go head-to-head. I know there are questions about T.J.
Ford's size and shooting, but I also know he has been a dominant college
player and a "true" point guard. How did he and Hinrich do head-to-head?
What are your impressions of Ford? I haven't seen him much.

The college point guard I've been most impressed with so far, and again it's
based on a small sample size, is Oregon's Luke Ridnour. He's a Hinrich-type,
only a little more of a pass-first guy, as far as I can tell. I've also been
zeroing in on guys who can shoot the 3-pointer, like Ridnour, Hinrich and
Troy Bell, as opposed to guys like Ford who are more in the Tinsley mold.
Personally, I think the Celts desperately need a floor general and not just
another three-point shooter, but I've resigned myself to the reality of the
situation as long as the BDT is here.

I know it's early to start talking draft, but we're going to see a lot more
college basketball on the air over the next two months, and I'd be
interested to know from those in other parts of the country who the guys to
watch might be. There's not a lot to choose from here in Big Ten country,
but here are some names to remember as we move toward March Madness:

Brian Cook, Illinois: A long 6-10 guy who is finally putting it all
together. He has a nice inside-outside game, but has been inconsistent in
the past. Can dominate at times.

Rick Rickert, Minnesota: Just a sophomore, but a 7-footer who also has an
inside-outside game, all the way out to the three-point stripe. He's not
just a stand-still shooter, though. He's active. Good player, and likely
lottery pick, I'd guess.

Lavell Blanchard, Michigan: Kind of a jack-of-all-trades swingman. Probably
will get drafted, and may end up a workout warrior, but never seemed to have
one thing to hang his hat on.

Reece Gaines, Louisville: I don't see it. I know some scouts love him
because he's 6-5 and can play point guard, but I see a guy who at best
becomes Alvin Williams. He's not a point guard, but he plays one on TV. Good
3-point shooter, though, and he has that Pitino connection, so I have fears
that he might be destined to be our next draft mistake. It's not that I
think he can't play, I just don't think he's a point guard. He probably will
find a home as a third guard.

Keith Bogans, Kentucky: A 6-4 shooting guard with a strong body and nice
in-between game. I like him more than the scouts, but I guess it's more a
matter of expectations. I think he's a safe bet (assuming he really is 6-4)
to be a rotation guy in the NBA. He has the body and the in-between game.
He's almost certain to be around when the Celts pick, and probably after
that.

Anyway, that's it. I could see the Celts with a shot at and interest in Cook
or Gaines.

Mark