Re: The Kedick school comment and Walker

In a message dated 03-02-01 11:45:59 EST, Celtic4Hire writes:

<<  Steve,
 PP was the only one out there with fire in the third quarter, twice getting
offensive rebounds. Don't drink from Lance's delusional cup. Although the
refs seemed determined to make  pay for a poor effort with numerous bad
calls,  I personally think PP was mostly disgusted with the team and namely
Walker and Obie for screwing up what they had going. I mean, they were within
a whisker of defeating the Pistons in their place. All we needed was the same
play with one more basket or assist from Walker. We didn't need to clean the
board and start over.

 This game was all about Walker being a big part of the offense. We didn't
need that right now. If he is so smart as Obie says he is and he is a
coaching candidate, then he would know when he is hurting the team. In
defense of Walker, he did take the bulk of his shots around the basket. He
was just playing and doing what he does. Therefore, it is the coach's fault
for trying to forcefeed Walker into the offense. Obie should have limited
Walker's minutes or brought him off the bench. I mean, who is running this
team, anyways? Naturally, Obie isn't going to be that upset because it is his
game plan and substitutions. He just goes on the next game with his gimmicks.
I just sit back and say bring it on. The more we see like this, the sooner
Obie gets run out of here.

 All I am asking is for a conventional offense and conventional substitution.
People playing in their natural positions and being given the ball to score
in their favorite spots. Coaching that can modify their defense to match the
opponent. Gimmicks are for short term. The fans want the long term fix...>>

DJ,

Please don't put my comments into a frame of reference from someone else.

The most maddening thing I observe on this and other boards is that the
"Pierce apologists" (for lack of a better term) - and I am certainly not
suggesting that you are one - are very quick to defend Pierce but rarely hold
Pierce's feet to the fire to apply the same standard that they hold other
players, namely Walker, to. Very often there is insightful and valid
criticism(s) offered as to Walker's shortcomings or failures or miscues but
that same level and depth of criticism is seldom, if ever, offered when it is
applicable to Pierce.

The C's were already down by 27 points at the half. Walker took what, 15
shots in 30 minutes? Pierce took 18 in 31 minutes. So I can't agree with your
conclusion that Pierce was digusted with Walker screwing up as you term it
"what they had going".

What "they had going" in the last four games that Walker was out was Pierce
attacking the basket and going hard to the rack to get plenty of FT
opportunities. Last night, Walker got to the FT line more than Pierce.

What "they had going", at least in Tuesday night's game against Detroit, was
the fact they were able to outrebound the Pistons. Last night, the Pistons
were a + 9 on the glass. The C's also only forced a measly 9 Detroit TO's.
That is all about collective effort and intensity.

What "they had going" last night was a total lack of D in which the Pistons,
a notoriously low scoring offensive team and a team with no inside offensive
presence, were allowed to shoot 51% for the entire game and score in triple
figures on the C's home court. The interior D was missing - even Ben Wallace
was knocking down perimeter jumpers, for Chrissakes - and the perimter D was
non-existent. Of the Pistons 79 toal FG attempts, 32 of those shots were from
beyond the arc. Detroit's backcourt torched the C's backcourt.

What "they had going" in the last four games was Pierce paying less and less
attention to his defensive responsibilities and that carried over to this
game.  It's one thing to let Rip Hamilton, a proven scorer, shoot almost 60%
from the field and get loose for 29 points. It's quite another to let an
unknown like Jerryl Sasser get his career high of what, 28 points, and single
handedly keep a McGrady-less Magic team in that game.

This was a TEAM loss. I'm not suggesting that it falls on the head of any one
player.
What I AM suggesting is that if you're a two-time All Star, a max contract
player, and team co-captain, you don't quit on your team when things get
tight and you damn sure don't slip out the back door after an epic blowout
because you aren't man enough to face the inevitable tough questions.  I just
wish people would stop giving Pierce a free pass and immunity when he f*%#s
up, that's all.

Steve