Re: The Golden State win

Whatever.

If you think our frontcourt is our position of strength, with the
stringbeans we are throwing out there against the likes of Shaq and Fortson,
then we do not see the game the same way.

I do not think Obie is going to win COTY, but the job of any coach is to
win, NOW, with what the GM has given you to work with.  I think Obie thinks
that in order to win, he must go with players who can run up the points.  He
knows that, right now at least, this team is going to win most of the time
by going with the pointmakers.

I am not saying that I agree with this method, but simply that this is my
observation of his coaching thus far.

But to answer your questions:

Do you like the rebounding stats from
> last nite?

* No

Do you like forwards and centers at the perimeter?

* Depends

Do we have
> adequate height?

* What is adequate height?

Why aren't they inside?

 * They meaning forwards and centers?  Or are you talking Walter?  I think
Vin plays inside for the most part.  As does Blount.  One of LaFrentz's
strengths is supposed to be the ability to step outside and hit the 3.
Mihm, who may not have quite that range, shoots pretty well from outside for
a big man too.  But Danny knew this when he made the trades.  But pertaining
to defense and rebounding, we have no real toughness inside.  We have nobody
to lay a body on anyone who has any muscle.  Our guys get shoved around
because they are not strong enough to maintain their rebounding position.
If Fortson puts his ass on Blount, the rebound is going to him and there's
nothing which can be done about it other than a mistimed jump or a strange
carom.  99% of the time, we just ain't gettin that board.

This is why I was among those who was glad when we drafted Hunter.  IMNSHO,
he is exactly that kind of player...and when he gets a chance to play, Obie
is really gonna get lambasted for making him languish on the bench for so
long when our frontline gets eaten alive by the other power forwards in the
league.  Imagine this...Hunter gets 10 minutes sometime soon.  He picks up a
coupla quick fouls but manages to snare 7-8 boards, including a few
offensive.  How does Obie explain any future DNPCDs?

It's one thing to have guys who can do the job inside.  But we do not have
those guys who can hang in there and battle it out with any consistency.
Next time you are watching a game, try to concentrate for a 5 minute
stretch, on what is happening inside the paint during rebounding situations
and see how much "non-contact" is taking place.  Why do you think Barkley
was such a good rebounder?  He knew how to use his body to get inside
position.  Same with Silas.  Same with Cowens.  Blount...forget it.
Baker...forget it.  LaFrentz...forget it.  Mihm...I can't make a judgement
yet because I've not seen him enough.  Walter...forget it.  Those are our
inside players?  The only one, right now, that I have any confidence in, and
that is only because of his offense, is Baker who should ideally be coming
off the bench in an Eric Williams mold.

Maybe Perkins will be an answer.  Maybe he will see increased opportunities.
I sure would like to see him and Hunter together for 5 minutes to see if
together they make a difference.  They certainly can't do much worse.

Another thing I hate...is having our big men jump out so high above the
line, to delay the opposing point guard.  Talk about expending energy.  It
is draining to do that all the time because you must recover very quickly.
Also, a clever PG can find a way to get the ball to the C or PF for a foul
line jumper, like a LaFrentz or Mihm by the way.

It is clear to me that Obie feels that the 3 is still a weapon for this team
to use...Pierce, Welsch, Davis, James, Walter, LaFrentz.  The only player on
this team who make a concerted effort to get inside is Baker.

Cecil