Re: Celtics Mailbag: Mike Gorman Answers more questions

Exactly Cecil. That's the point I was trying to make. But now compare rings between Russ and Wilt. Red had a lot to do with that. Phil Jackson wouldn't have had a clue.

From: Cecil <cecil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Celtics Mailbag: Mike Gorman Answers more questions
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:38:55 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Shawn Niles <shizzjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <celtics@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 4:36 PM

> Well stated Mark... but I still don't buy it.
>
> If Red had good players, it's because he drafted well or traded well to
get
> them. He coached the C's for 15(?) or so years in succession. Many good
> players came and went during that time. Red didn't bail and try and jump
> a better situation. He'd just find another player and teach them how to
play
> the game the right way so the C's could win. Sure, Russell was great. But
> did he have more skill than Chamberlin? That's up for debate. Russell won
> though because he cared more about the team than his own stats. Don't you
> think Red had something to do with that? Chamberlins coaches obviously
> couldn't get him to grasp that strategy.

Not to get in the middle of this exchange or anything, but I have to remind
you that Wilt, in addition to being the single most unstoppable offensive
force in the history of the game, was a very fine passer, who led the league
in assists one year. I agree the Russ was great, but Wilt was no slouch
either. Who knows how many blocks both guys would have had if the league
kept those stats during the bulk of their careers.

Cecil

Cecil

Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es