Re: Celtics Mailbag: Mike Gorman Answers more questions

I've heard--quite clearly, in fact, given his vocal stamina--Obie exhort
his team to run on offense and cover people on defense.  He has made a
point of frequent substitutions to ensure fresh legs.  There's just not a
whole lot of options of several players play below expectations--sooner or
later, they all go back on the court.  When the starters stank up the place
in Phoenix, the bench came in--on two different occasions--to shore things
up.  I know that we're probably in for a few more stinkeroos before things
settle down, and Obie will be the happiest guy in the NBA when the trading
deadline passes.

I agree with you in that I'd like to see the C's play more
consistently.  By that, I mean they need to run until their sneakers
smoulder (and someone please wipe off Jiri's sneaks before he slips again
and kills someone?); they need to learn once and for all that the proper
way to beat the press is to pass the flamin' ball upcourt; and if they
really want to draw the defense away from Pierce, they need to hit shots.

Individually, I think Vin Baker may be hitting a wall.  It's been years
since he put out this kind of sustained effort and I think it's beginning
to tell.  Pierce is still dribbling into trouble way too many times.  He's
not as god a ballhandler as he seems to think he is.  Even so, his
teammates need to stop handing him the ball at midcourt with 7 seconds on
the shot clock.  Mike James needs to unleash that speed and go for broke to
the hoop.  Jiri Welsch may actually be the best PG on the team.  Ricky
Davis should not get the ball unless he is less than three seconds away
from putting up a shot, and he needs to get into the defense.  There just
isn't any time for him to take it slowly, he'll have to hit the floor
running--as should his teammates.

Tonight's game against the ^&#((^(@)^)& should be a constant display of the
running game.  If we don't run, we better pray the threes fall, because
Shaq will destroy any halfcourt trip into the hoop.  the $^)^@()&(!*~(
don't react well to playing from behind.  The key is not to stop Shaq and
Kobe--that plays into their game.  Channel them into tougher shots, and run
them ragged.  The $%^#$^%& bench is a joke.  If the C's play smart--and
run--they have a chance to come out with a win.  Let's hope for the best.

At 05:49 PM 12/28/2003, Dan Forant wrote:

>It's what he doesn't get out of  the Celts that have given us losses like
>the Hawks and Bulls. You're marveled at OB's slight of hand.
>
>DanF

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle