Re: Celtics Mailbag: Mike Gorman Answers more questions

At 04:16 PM 12/28/2003, Dan Forant wrote:

>Uuummmm, if Gorman thinks OB's one of the top 5 coaches in the League he's
>part of the problem or drunk or both. Would we really expect to hear MG say
>he sucks?
>
>DanF

Yes, if true.  Gorman and Heinsohn--for all that they are obviously
supportive of the C's--have never shied away from realizing where the team
has problems.  Witness Tommy's bemoaning the plethora of threes, to the
point where someone had obviously asked him to tone it down to the
occasional "Live by the three--live by the three." comment.  Gorman has
been known state the bald facts when the C's play a bad stretch of basketball.

I think it's a bit much to even facetiously question his sobriety, but we
all know what free advice is worth.  My personal opinion of Obie is
somewhere between you and Mike Gorman.  I question the "top five", but have
consistently marveled at how much he gets out of what--on paper--is not a
high quality team overall.  Consider that despite the near universally
disparaging remarks made about the EC, Boston has been kicking some serious
WC butt this season.  If only they played as consistently against teams
like the Hawks and the Bulls, Boston would have blown the doors off the EC
this season.

Given that since he took over as coach, the roster has been significantly
changed with annoying frequency, he's always gone back to work and tried to
prepare the team in the best way he knows how.  I give him credit for the
team doing as well as it has, especially since the last trade is such a
setback in terms of short term teamwork and chemistry.  I also give him
credit for not publicly calling Trader Dan an idiot.  :>)

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle