On Obieball, Baker and more

A lot of talk the last few days about the return of Obieball because of the increase in three-point attempts. Very simple reason for it, and that's the return of Walter. Allow me to quote the Atlanta play-by-play guy when I say, "I don't love Walter." (Of course, he was saying it after a Walter three-pointer.)

He's getting 30 minutes per game, and he spends those minutes hoisting up threes. That's what he does. And he's doing it from the power forward spot. He has replaced Battie/Ewill in the four-man big man rotation. He's the backup power forward behind Baker. What he's doing is, effectively, what Antoine had become - a spot-up, three-point shooting power forward. And it's having the same effect on the offense. Before, dribble penetration often led to layups for the big guys. Now, it's just kickouts. Kickouts to James/Pierce/Welsch/Walter.

Like others, I'd like to see Hunter given a shot at some power forward minutes. It's virtually a given that he'd rebound better than Vin (more on him in a minute) and Walter. But the other thing he's great at - at least he seemed great at it in the summer leagues - is working the baseline and catching and finishing when his defender leaves him to stop dribble penetration. How many times this summer did we see Banks get into the lane, the opposing big guys come over to stop him, and then have Banks hit Hunter with a bounce pass for a dunk or layup? I think Hunter can provide some of the same things now. You probably don't want to isolate him on the box, but he can be a good finisher and rebounder. I'd just about guarantee his effect on the offense wouldn't be as negative as Walter's.

Vin... Is he putting weight on? Is he hurt? The guy looks slow again. And he has to gather himself to jump again. He's not quick off the floor like he was. Is he worn down already? He's fumbling passes. He just looks terrible. He's giving them very little right now. And when he struggles, Obie goes with Walter... Ugh. Talk about your vicious cycles.

Power forward is the next hole in the dike for Ainge to plug. I guess he's going to have to trade Walter, too, just to break Obie of that bad habit.

Anyway... Disappointing game last night, but that was an effort loss. You can't pin it on Obie. They came out in the second half and put in a half-hearted effort. It wasn't coaching. Just one of those nights. The only criticism I have of Obie last night is a typical failure to adjust his strategy down the stretch. Pierce clearly was struggling and, apparently, not feeling well. Use him as a decoy. Run plays for Welsch or Davis. Get Mihm in there instead of Blount. Obie didn't adjust. He just kept handing it to Pierce.

But, like I said, a little concentration and effort from the troops and this one is decided long before the fourth quarter. That's on the players, not Obie.

Not sure if anyone will read this. Hopefully, you're all spending time with your families. I know I will be in a few hours. Take care, everyone, and have a happy holiday.

Mark