yeah! great win...

I was expecting them to get trounced by Dallas, leaving Pierce
demoralized.  How did they pull this off with Nowitzki and Fortson
scoring and rebounding at will?  Two words: Evil Toine.

Interesting that he sat much of the 4th qtr. That's one of the
differences with Walker at Dallas - Don Nelson can afford to sit him
down in the 4th instead of letting him lose the game for them.  Lucky
for us,  Toine came back for the final 2 or so minutes and did his
thing. I read a Mavs game recap recently (forget against who) where
Antoine had these fab numbers going, then ended up getting stuffed for
the final shot and losing the game.  *That's* why we traded him.
Nowitzki belongs taking the final shot, not Antoine.

Anyhow, things I loved about this game:

 - Jiri Welsch. Just keeps getting better.
 - Ricky Davis. Diving after loose balls and cheerly wildly on the
bench. No sign of a malcontent here. He'll settle down on the court,
and bring some of Walker's spunk (not punk).
 - Chris Mihm. Danny said he was the best rebounder on our team and Mihm
proved him right by hauling down everything in sight the few minutes he
was in there. More, more!
 - Walter at the 5.  Actually worked out OK. He's amazing when he has
the 3 falling (wish it was more often).

And from the other side of the coin:

 - McCarty/Baker a terrible rebounding combo.
 - Where was Kendrick?  Our big guys were in foul trouble  and getting
knocked around by Danny Fortson (nice hair!). Would it have hurt to put
Perkins in for a spell?

I love what Danny has done.  We got two good-to-excellent 24 yr old
players for Battie, Ewill and Kedrick.  I think it was one of those
trades that was good for both teams.  Kedrick got 11 points last night!
Good for him.  He wasn't doing that here.  Like Antoine suddenly
finding his rebounding mojo and having a banner year. He wasn't doing
that here.

Only suggestion I have for Danny - keep your mouth shut talking about
players, unless it's positive.  Although I enjoy your candidness, I
think it's unprofessional in your position and will only give you a bad
rep.

What's up with the print media and ESPN tv guys? They are so clueless!
They think Danny has screwed up the team?  They look at what Toine is
doing w/the Mavs and think we blew it?  I don't get it.  Do we really
know that much more about the Cs than they do?   These trades have been
terrific!  If we had kept the same team, we'd be wasting the prime of
Paul Pierce, anchoring him to Antoine and doomed to no further than the
EC finals, if that.  Now we have a future! And it's not years away like
some are saying.  I'd say in the next two years, when Perkins and Mihm
are in the rotation, Davis has matured, Jiri is that much better.
Welsch played the point a lot last night.  That buys us some time with
Marcus.

Perkins is key. We can't keep fielding lightweight centers with Baker at
the 4 - we get clobbered on the boards. With Perkins, we can play Baker
and  LaFrentz and be OK.   I like that Jumaine Jones and Davis can
board.  Why can't we get Hunter off the IL? He could play 4 with Mihm
or Baker at center.

Damn Walter. He should either play like this consistently or get himself
on the IL. His inconsistency puts a monkey wrench into the development
of Hunter and Perkins.

Great win, guys!

 --Ellie